The only thing better than chocolate cupcakes are these Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Buttercream Icing. Peanut butter and chocolate form a classic flavor combination and they don't disappoint in these scrumptious cupcakes. To simplify, these cupcakes begin with a boxed cake mix with a few twists to ramp up the flavor. Topped with homemade peanut buttercream frosting they're sprinkled with peanuts and finished with a drizzle of chocolate ganache. Rich and delicious!
Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Buttercream Icing
I love baking as is demonstrated by the many desserts found in the MSSK archives. I nearly always bake completely from scratch but, wanted to show how to doctor a cake mix to elevate it and turn it into something special. These gems are topped off with a creamy homemade peanut-buttercream icing that takes them to another level. For the crowning touch, these double chocolate cupcakes are finished with a drizzle of homemade chocolate ganache, and a sprinkle of chopped peanuts. They're sure to be the belle of the party.
Pro Tips for Making Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Buttercream Icing
- When making these cupcakes, you can opt to use my Double Chocolate Cake recipe for the batter.
- The cupcakes can be made one day in advance then frosted just before serving. Especially if it's your plan to drizzle with warm ganache.
- Should you like to make the frosting in advance. Chill in an airtight container then bring to room temperature to soften and whip before frosting. Have extra cream on hand to thin, if needed.
- Store leftovers chilled in an airtight container.
- You may also like: Chocolate Chip Cupcakes from Taste of Lizzy.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Double Chocolate Cupcakes with a Peanut Buttercream Icing
Servings: 24 Cupcakes
- 1 15.25 oz box devils food cake mix
- 1 ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 16 oz box powdered sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup softened butter
- 10-12 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 cup salted cocktail peanuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt ½ cup butter with 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips. Stir until completely smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, buttermilk and eggs. Pour the melted chocolate into the cake batter on low speed then increase the speed to medium high.
- Beat on medium high for about 2 minutes until the batter is smooth and the melted chocolate is fully incorporated.
- Using a 4 oz ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin tins, filling about ⅔ full.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks before icing.
- To make the icing: In a medium mixing bowl using an electric mixer whip together the softened butter and peanut butter around 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Add 1 Tbsp of heavy cream, vanilla and ½ cup powdered sugar. Repeat alternating 1 Tbsp cream and powdered sugar until all sugar is used. Increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- To make the chocolate ganache: Melt 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips with ⅓ cup of heavy whipping cream in the microwave until smooth. Do this in 30 second increments stopping to stir as needed. Cool slightly.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and drizzle each with the melted ganache. Sprinkle chopped peanuts on top. Store in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 228mg | Potassium: 199mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 619IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1mg