The only thing better than chocolate cupcakes are these Double Chocolate Cupcakes With A Peanut Buttercream Icing. Peanut butter and chocolate form a classic flavor combination and they don't disappoint in these scrumptious cupcakes. To simplify, these cupcakes begin with a boxed cake mix with a few twists to ramp up the flavor. Topped with homemade peanut buttercream frosting they're sprinkled with peanuts and finished with a drizzle of chocolate ganache. Rich and delicious!
I love baking as is demonstrated by the many desserts found in the MSSK archives. I nearly always bake completely from scratch but, wanted to show how to doctor a cake mix to elevate it and turn it into something special. When making these Double Chocolate Cupcakes With A Peanut Buttercream Icing, you can opt to use my Double Chocolate Cake recipe fo the batter. These gems are topped off with a creamy homemade peanut-buttercream icing that takes them to another level. For the crowning touch, they're finished with a drizzle of homemade chocolate ganache, and a sprinkle of chopped peanuts. They're sure to be the belle of the party.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Double Chocolate Cupcakes With A Peanut Buttercream Icing
Servings: 24 Cupcakes
- 1 15.25 oz box devils food cake mix
- 1 ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 16 oz box powdered sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup softened butter
- 10-12 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 cup salted cocktail peanuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt ½ cup butter with 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips. Stir until completely smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, buttermilk and eggs. Pour the melted chocolate into the cake batter on low speed then increase the speed to medium high.
- Beat on medium high for about 2 minutes until the batter is smooth and the melted chocolate is fully incorporated.
- Using a 4 oz ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin tins, filling about ⅔ full.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks before icing.
- To make the icing: In a medium mixing bowl using an electric mixer whip together the softened butter and peanut butter around 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Add 1 Tbsp of heavy cream, vanilla and ½ cup powdered sugar. Repeat alternating 1 Tbsp cream and powdered sugar until all sugar is used. Increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- To make the chocolate ganache: Melt 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips with ⅓ cup of heavy whipping cream in the microwave until smooth. Do this in 30 second increments stopping to stir as needed. Cool slightly.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and drizzle each with the melted ganache. Sprinkle chopped peanuts on top. Store in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.