Easy Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Buttercream Icing Recipe
I love baking as is demonstrated by the many desserts found in the recipe index. I nearly always bake completely from scratch, but wanted to show how to doctor a cake mix to elevate it and turn it into something special. These cupcakes are topped off with a creamy homemade peanut-buttercream icing that takes them to another level. For the crowning touch, these double chocolate cupcakes are finished with a drizzle of homemade chocolate ganache, and a sprinkle of chopped salted peanuts. They’re sure to be the belle of the party.
How to Make the BEST Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Buttercream Icing
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Double Chocolate Cupcakes: One box Devils Food cake mix, buttermilk, large eggs, butter and semi sweet chocolate baking chips.
- To make the Peanut Buttercream Icing you’ll need: Peanut butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, softened butter, vanilla extract and chopped peanuts for garnishing.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Two 12 cup muffin/cupcake pans, cupcake liners, hand mixer or stand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and chopping board or nut chopper to chop the peanuts, icing spatula or pastry bag fitted with a jumbo open star tip.
- When making these cupcakes, you can use a doctored cake mix as demonstrated in the recipe or you may opt to use my Double Chocolate Cake recipe for the batter if you prefer to bake from scratch.
- The cupcakes can be made one day in advance then frosted just before serving. Especially if it’s your plan to drizzle with warm ganache.
- Should you like to make the frosting in advance. Chill it in an airtight container then bring to room temperature to soften and whip with a whisk or a mixer before frosting the cupcakes. Have extra cream on hand to thin, if needed.
- Store frosted Double Chocolate Cupcakes in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Easy Cupcake Recipes to Make
- My Banana Pudding Cupcakes are a fan favorite!
- Red Velvet Cupcakes say “I love you” with every bite.
- Sour Cream Angel Food Cupcakes can be filled with cream and fresh berries for a classy dessert that’s easy to make.
- Chocolate Samoa Cupcakes feature all of the same flavors of the cookies we love.
- These Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are like a trip down memory lane.
- Strawberry Shortcake Brownie Cupcakes begin with a brownie mix so bakers of all skill levels can make them.
- Lemon Cupcakes from Handle the Heat.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Double Chocolate Cupcakes with a Peanut Buttercream Icing
- 1 15.25 oz box devils food cake mix
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Peanut Buttercream Icing:
- 1 16 oz box powdered sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup softened butter
- 10-12 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 cup salted cocktail peanuts chopped
- To make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips. Stir until completely smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, buttermilk and eggs. Pour the melted chocolate into the cake batter on low speed then increase the speed to medium high.
- Beat on medium high for about 1-2 minutes until the batter is smooth and the melted chocolate is fully incorporated.
- Using a regular size ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin tins, filling about 2/3 full.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks before icing.
- To make the icing: In a medium mixing bowl using an electric mixer whip together the softened butter and peanut butter around 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Add 1 Tbsp of heavy cream, vanilla and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Repeat alternating 1 Tbsp cream and powdered sugar until all sugar is used. Increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- To make the chocolate ganache: Melt 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips with 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream in the microwave until smooth. Do this in 30 second increments stopping to stir as needed. Cool slightly.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and drizzle each with the melted ganache. Sprinkle chopped peanuts on top. Store in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.