These Sour Cream Angel Cakes were the result of an “aha” moment that turned into a cake mix hack out of necessity. They’ve became a fast favorite and are delightful served filled with whipped cream, ice cream or lemon curd and fresh berries.
What are Sour Cream Angel Cakes?
In short, they’re a doctored angel food cupcake. I found myself needing to whip up a last minute batch of cupcakes and in the middle of preparation realized I had no eggs! I had broken one of my cardinal rules, of gathering all of the necessary ingredients before beginning a baking project and was well on my way, when I came to the realization. There were no eggs for the cupcake batter. Walking into my pantry to see what I could find to salvage my efforts, I noticed a box of angel food cake mix. That’s when a light bulb came on and this cake mix hack was born. I knew that egg whites were in the cake mix so, I crossed my fingers and hoped that it would be enough to work it’s magic in the now experimental batter.
Sometimes a Cake Mix Hack Saves the Day
It worked like a charm, and the rest is history. They were the hit of the party. The texture is more dense than a classic angel food cake, but, lighter than a traditional white cake.
- After cooling them completely, use a knife to hollow out a small opening in the center and fill half of the angel cakes with fresh sweetened whipped cream and half with lemon curd.
- You can then garnish each with fresh berries and a sprig of mint. They turn out pretty and delicious!
- These little angel cakes can also form the base for strawberry shortcake or frosted like a cupcake with your favorite buttercream frosting.
- These cakes can be served with ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate, too.
- You may also like my Parade article featuring 24 Can’t Miss Cake Mix Hacks to enjoy.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sour Cream Angel Cakes
- 1 16 oz box angel food cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 tsp clear vanilla
- Fillings: sweetened fresh whipped cream lime or lemon curd, assorted berries, ice cream, custard, pudding
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Sift together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- Using a hand mixer gradually beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- After all of the wet ingredients are added, continue mixing for around 2 minutes or until fully combined. The batter will taste sweet at this point but, it will mellow as the cupcakes bake.
- Line 24-26 muffin tins with cupcake liners. Fill each about 2/3 full. Depending on how you separate the batter, you may be able to yield more than 24 cupcakes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Use a sharp knife to remove a small opening from the centers, and fill with fresh whipped cream, lime or lemon curd.
- Garnish with fresh berries and a sprig of mint. Alternatively, serve glazed with a lemon or orange glaze.