Sour Cream Angel Cakes – These sour cream angel cakes were the result of an “aha” moment in my kitchen. I needed to whip up a last minute batch of cupcakes and in the middle of preparation realized…there are no eggs! Breaking one of my cardinal rules, of gathering all of the necessary ingredients before beginning a project, I was well on my way, when I realized there were no eggs for the cupcake batter. Walking into my pantry to see what I could find to salvage my efforts, I noticed a box of angel food cake mix. That’s when a light bulb came on. I knew that egg whites were in the cake mix so, I crossed my fingers and hoped that it would be enough to work it’s magic in the now experimental batter.
It worked like a charm, and these little angel cakes were the result. They were the hit of the party! The texture is more dense than a classic angel food cake, but, lighter than a traditional white cake. After cooling them completely, I used a knife to hollow out a small opening in the centers and filled half of the angel cakes with fresh sweetened whipped cream and half with lemon curd. Then I garnished each with fresh berries and a sprig of mint. They turned out pretty and delicious!
Sour Cream Angel Cakes
- 1  oz box angel food cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz sour cream [i.e. Daisy]
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 tsp clear vanilla
- Fillings: sweetened fresh whipped cream lime or lemon curd, assorted berries, ice cream, custard, pudding
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Sift together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- Using a hand mixer gradually beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- After all of the wet ingredients are added, continue mixing for around 2 minutes or until fully combined. The batter will taste sweet at this point but, it will mellow as the cupcakes bake.
- Line 24-26 muffin tins with cupcake liners. Fill each about 2/3 full. Depending on how you separate the batter, you may be able to yield more than 24 cupcakes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Use a sharp knife to remove a small opening from the centers, and fill with fresh whipped cream, lime or lemon curd.
- Garnish with fresh berries and a sprig of mint. Alternatively, serve glazed with a lemon or orange glaze.