You may also like: Copycat Chick Fil A Sauce, Chipotle Peach Barbecue Grillin Sauce, Japanese Steakhouse Yum Yum Sauce, Copykat Red Lobster Tarter Sauce, East Carolina Barbecue Sauce, Comeback Sauce.
Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce
Author: Melissa Sperka
Serves: 4 cups
- 1 [15 oz] can crushed tomatoes
- 1 [12 oz] Dr. Pepper
- 1 [6 oz] can tomato paste
- 1 medium sweet onion. chopped
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¾ cup molasses
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp each of dry mustard, chili powder, dry chipotle pepper, cumin, white pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- In a stove top pan, saute the onions in butter until translucent. Roughly chop the chipotle pepper then add it along with the garlic, Dr. Pepper, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, molasses, brown sugar, honey and seasonings to the pan.
- Simmer for at least 1 hour to allow the sauce to reduce, thicken and intensify in flavor.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper, then puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Chill well.
This sauce can be made up to a week ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.