EAsy Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce Recipe
More Homemade Sauces and Condiment Recipes to Make
I love making homemade sauces when time allows and with a little pre-planning you can, too. Sauces you may enjoy that you can find here in the MSSK recipe index is my
- Copycat Chick Fil A Sauce for dipping chicken, french fries or drizzle on burgers and sandwiches.
- Perfectly delicious Chipotle Peach Barbecue Grillin' Sauce.
- Creamy homemade Tarter Sauce is packed with flavor.
- Japanese Steakhouse Yum Yum Sauce is another tasty option you can serve with Asian entrees, grilled steaks, chicken, pork or seafood. You can also use it as a fry sauce.
- Make your own Cocktail Sauce.
- This Comeback Sauce is a Southern classic.
- You may also like to try this East Carolina Barbecue Sauce from Noble Pig.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce
Servings: 4 cups
- 1 medium sweet onion. chopped
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 12 oz Dr. Pepper
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- ¾ cup molasses
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black or white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dark chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (or ancho chili pepper)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- In a heavy bottomed 3 or 4 quart saucepan saute the diced onions in butter over medium high heat until translucent.
- To the pan add crushed tomatoes, Dr Pepper, tomato paste, molasses, honey, cider vinegar, brown sugar, kosher salt, black or white pepper, ground mustard, dark chili powder, ground chipotle pepper, ground cumin. Mix to combine.
- Lower the heat and simmer uncovered over low heat for at least 1 hour to allow the sauce to reduce, thicken and intensify in flavor. Stir occasionally.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper, then puree in a food processor or stand blender until smooth. Cool completely.
- Chill in the refrigerator in a mason jar or airtight container for up to 1-2 weeks..
This sauce can be made up to a week ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 592kcal | Carbohydrates: 126g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 566mg | Potassium: 1576mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 119g | Vitamin A: 1242IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 200mg | Iron: 5mg