Dulce de Leche Cream Cheese Icing
- 32 oz powdered sugar
- 1 [13.4 oz] can *dulce de leche [I used Nestles]
- 1 [8 oz] softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 4 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a medium mixing bowl , whip together the cream cheese, dulce de leche, butter, vanilla flavoring and salt.
- Whip on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes until well blended.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the powdered sugar slowly, beating after each addition. With each addition of powdered sugar, add one tablespoon of cream. [not to exceed 4 Tbsp total]
- Continue adding the powdered sugar and cream, stopping to scrape the bowl as needed. After all of the sugar has been added, increase the speed of the mixer to medium-high and whip for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.. Use as desired t frost the cake or cupcakes, and store any leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- This recipe makes enough to frost one 9-inch round layer cake, 30-36 medium cupcakes or 100 mini cupcakes.
*Dulce de Leche is readily available in most grocery stores or specialty food stores like World Market or Williams Sonoma. It's usually found in the Hispanic foods section of most grocery stores. The can may look very similar to sweetened condensed milk, but, it's very different so, read the label carefully.