Are you looking for an easy and delicious chocolate frosting recipe? This Whipped Chocolate Frosting is my "go to" when I'm preparing birthday cakes and special occasion cakes for my family. It takes so few ingredients to prepare and is a spectacular frosting for any flavor of cake or cupcakes.
Easy Whipped Chocolate Frosting Recipe
This frosting can be used to frost any flavor of cake that your heart desires. It's a classic pairing with my old fashioned butter cake or if you're a chocolate fanatic, try using it to frost my chocolate buttermilk cake. It's whipped chocolate after all so, you can't go wrong. Each year for my son's birthdays, they look forward to planning what cake and filling combo they want for their celebration cake. Nine times out of ten, regardless of the flavor of cake or filling they choose, they ask that it be topped with this chocolate whipped frosting. It's super simple to make, and with all of the rest of the planning that goes with birthdays, you'll never hear me complain.
How to Make the Best Whipped Chocolate Frosting Recipe
This chocolate frosting recipe is simple enough for the kids to help, and will quickly become a favorite with your kids, to. Best of luck trying to keep them from eating it straight from the bowl.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Whipped Chocolate Frosting: 24 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, (i.e. Ghiradelli or similar) heavy cream, salt and powdered sugar.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A hand mixer or a stand mixer, a large mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons.
- When making this chocolate whipped frosting, be certain you begin the process with a quality chocolate.
- After icing the cake or cupcakes I recommend that you chill them tightly covered until serving.
- To serve, remove the cake from the refrigerator an hour or two before cutting to allow the frosting to soften for the very best texture.
- This frosting recipe makes enough to frost 1 (9-inch) two layer cake or 1 (8-inch) three layer cake, 30 cupcakes or 1 half sheet cake.
- Store leftover Chocolate Whipped Frosting chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Whip before using to frost cakes or cupcakes.
More Southern Style Frosting Recipes to Make
It doesn't have to be a special occasion to serve cake or cupcakes. This chocolate frosting is spectacular for golden butter cake, chocolate cake, vanilla cake, strawberry cake and beyond. More homemade frosting recipes you may like to try:
- Fluffy 7 Minute Frosting is an oldie but goodie.
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is a classic that complements many cake flavors.
- This rich Brown Sugar Buttercream is fantastic for fall flavors.
- Pink Lemonade Cream Cheese Frosting is like a bite of sunshine.
- Dulce de Leche Cream Cheese Frosting is perfection for spice cakes, chocolate cake, vanilla cake, butter pecan cakes and beyond.
- You may also like this recipe for Strawberry Buttercream from Celebrating Sweets.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Whipped Chocolate Frosting
- 24 oz quality semi-sweet chocolate chips i.e. Ghiradelli
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 3-6 tablespoon powdered sugar sifted
- Place the chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan bring the heavy cream and salt to a boil. Once it begins to boil, immediately remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Using a whisk stir the chocolate chips and cream until completely smooth.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours until cooled but still pourable. Stir occasionally.
- Once cooled, using an electric mixer, whip the chocolate ganache mixture adding 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time. Sweeten to your taste and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Use immediately to frost a layer cake, cupcakes or sheet cake. Chill the frosted cake or cupcakes until serving.
- Allow the frosted cake to come to room temperature before serving to allow the frosting to soften. (Allow to sit on the counter about 1-2 hours)
- Store leftovers chilled.