Are you looking for an easy and delicious chocolate frosting recipe? This whipped chocolate frosting is my “go to” when I’m preparing birthday cakes and special occasion cakes for my family. It takes so few ingredients to prepare and is a spectacular frosting for any flavor of cake or cupcakes. In particular, it’s a classic pairing with my old fashioned butter cake or if you’re a chocolate fanatic, try using it to frost my chocolate buttermilk cake. It’s whipped chocolate after all so, you can’t go wrong.
Each year for my sons birthdays, one of the things they look forward to is, planning what cake and filling combo they want for their celebration cake. Nine times out of ten regardless of the flavor of cake or filling they choose, they ask that it be topped with this chocolate whipped frosting. It’s super simple to make and with all of the rest of the planning that goes with birthdays, never is a complaint heard from me.
When making this chocolate whipped frosting, be certain you begin the process with a quality chocolate. After icing the cake or cupcakes I recommend that you chill them tightly covered until serving. To serve, remove the cake from the fridge an hour or two before cutting to allow the frosting to soften for the very best results. It’s simple enough for the kids to help, and will quickly become a favorite with your kids, too, if you can keep them from eating it straight from the bowl.
See it at The Weekend Potluck here
- 24 oz quality semi-sweet chocolate chips ( i.e. Ghiradelli)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 3-6 Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
- Place the chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan bring the heavy cream and salt to a boil. Once it begins to boil, immediately remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Using a whisk stir the chocolate chips and cream until completely smooth.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours until cooled but still pourable. Stir occasionally.
- Once cooled, using an electric mixer, whip the chocolate ganache mixture adding 1 Tbsp of powdered sugar at a time. Sweeten to your taste and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Use immediately to frost a layer cake, cupcakes or sheet cake. Chill the frosted cake or cupcakes until serving.
- Allow the frosted cake to come to room temperature before serving to allow the frosting to soften. (Allow to sit on the counter about 1-2 hours)
- Store leftovers chilled.