Shake-up your cake frosting options with this rich and buttery homemade Brown Sugar Buttercream. Use it for frosting special occasion cakes, cupcakes and muffins.
Brown Sugar Buttercream
To make this frosting, light brown sugar is combined with heavy cream then simmered together until it becomes velvety smooth. Using a mixer, whip this with softened butter, pure vanilla and powdered sugar and voila, it's ready to spread on top of cupcakes, or your favorite flavor layer cake. It's spectacular when used to frost your favorite muffins or sweet breads giving them a smooth caramel-like decadent finish. The rich finish it gives is reminiscent of those spicy flavors we associate with fall so, add this buttercream to your fall baking plans. Think, sweet potato, pumpkin, French vanilla, cinnamon and beyond.
Homemade Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting Makes the Cake
Homemade frosting makes the cake. No matter what the accompanying cake flavor may be, whether vanilla, chocolate or caramel are worth the minimal effort it takes to whip them up from scratch. They're the first thing you notice and provide the complementary smooth finish to homemade baked cookies, cakes, muffins and sweet breads. When you take the time to make the frosting from scratch it really shows the love don't you think? Tasty to the very last crumb and then you get to lick the spoon. Or, in my house it's the beaters that are the coveted lick'able treat.
Other Buttercream Flavors to Try:
- Low Carb Chocolate Buttercream from All Day I Dream About Food
- S'mores Buttercream Frosting from Simple Joy.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Brown Sugar Buttercream
- 1 ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream plus additional as needed to thin
- 1 ¼ cup butter softened (2 ½ sticks)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar sifted
- In a medium-size heavy bottomed saucepan bring the brown sugar and heavy cream to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool enough to still be pourable but, not set.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, whip the butter and vanilla with the brown sugar cream, Stop to scrape the sides of the bowl periodically.
- Lower the speed, of the mixer and gradually add the confectioners sugar. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl between additions.
- Add additional heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time to thin to spreading consistency, as needed.
- After the powdered sugar is added, raise speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy.
- Store chilled in an airtight container until ready to use. Beat again before using.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.