I love shaking up my cake frosting options with this rich and buttery homemade Brown Sugar Buttercream. Light brown sugar is combined with heavy cream then simmered together until it becomes velvety smooth. Using a mixer, whip this with softened butter, pure vanilla and powdered sugar and voila, it’s ready to spread on top of cupcakes, or your favorite flavor layer cake. It’s spectacular when used to frost your favorite muffins or sweet breads giving them a smooth caramel-like decadent finish.
Homemade frosting makes the cake. No matter what the accompanying cake flavor may be either vanilla, chocolate or caramel they’re well worth the minimal effort it takes to whip them up. They’re the first thing you see and provide the complimentary smooth finish to homemade baked cookies, cakes, muffins and sweet breads. When you take the time to make the frosting from scratch it really shows the love don’t you think? Tasty to the very last crumb and then you get to lick the spoon. Or, in my house it’s the beaters that are the coveted lick’able treat.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Brown Sugar Buttercream
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream plus additional as needed to thin
- 1 1/4 cup butter softened (2 1/2 sticks)
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar sifted
- In a medium-size heavy bottomed saucepan bring the brown sugar and heavy cream to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool enough to still be pourable but, not set.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, whip the butter and vanilla with the brown sugar cream, Stop to scrape the sides of the bowl periodically.
- Lower the speed, of the mixer and gradually add the confectioners sugar. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl between additions.
- Add additional heavy cream 1 Tbsp at a time to thin to spreading consistency, as needed.
- After the powdered sugar is added, raise speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy.
- Store chilled in an airtight container until ready to use. Beat again before using.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.