This ground beef Enchilada Casserole recipe is packed with flavor and vibrant colors. Serve it with your favorite Mexican inspired side dishes for fiesta night at home.
Easy Beef Enchilada Casserole Recipe
How do you make Enchilada Casserole? This recipe begins with ground beef and onion cooked together until no pink remains. Drain excess fat from the skillet then add the seasonings, beef stock or water per the recipe and simmer until reduced. You'll need 5 tortillas for each layer, topping each layer with red enchilada sauce, taco ground beef, black beans and halved cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle each layer with shredded cheese, then place into a 350°F oven and bake until bubbly and golden. Allow the casserole some stand time on the counter before cutting into desired size portions and serving.
How to Make the Best Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Beef Enchilada Casserole: Ground beef, corn tortillas, onion, oil, enchilada sauce or taco sauce, taco seasoning, seasoned salt, granulated garlic, lemon pepper, sliced cherry tomatoes, shredded colby jack cheese, black beans and diced green chiles.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: One 12 inch skillet, sharp knife and chopping board, measuring cups and spoons, cheese grater and 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- You can use taco sauce, in place of red enchilada sauce, if desired. You can also adapt this recipe using green enchilada sauce instead of red, if preferred.
- For the tortilla layer, cut three in half and place the straight edge against the side of the dish. Fill in the center with two whole tortillas. (See the process shots for a visual demonstration.)
- You could use ground chicken, pork or turkey in this recipe in the same amount.
- For added kick, substitute pepper jack cheese for colby jack cheese.
- The cherry tomatoes add a really nice fresh texture to the layers. You could omit them, if preferred and serve salsa on top.
- If you want a very mild flavor you may opt to leave out the green chiles or choose chiles that are milder and don't pack too much heat.
- Likewise, if you prefer a spicier version use hot green chiles and drizzle with a green salsa verde sauce on top.
- Suggested toppings: Sour cream, pickled or fresh jalapenos, chopped cilantro, salsa or pico de gallo and guacamole.
- Store Enchilada Casserole chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single serving portions in the microwave.
More Easy Casserole Recipes to Make
- Top this Southwestern Casserole with a Sweet Corn Crust with lettuce, sour cream and tomatoes.
- Mexican Salsa Chicken and Rice Casserole is a one dish meal.
- Beef and Noodles Casserole can be assembled in advance and baked just before serving.
- Make this Crockpot Breakfast Casserole in your slow cooker for an overnight make ahead option.
- Sloppy Joe Casserole is a family friendly fusion of two favorites.
- Elevated homemade Tuna Noodle Casserole.
- Mexican Bow Tie Pasta Bake from Noble Pig.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 ½ - 2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- olive oil
- 1 1.0 oz packet taco seasoning (about 3 Tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ⅔ cup beef stock (or water)
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles (mild, medium or hot, your preference)
- 3 cups red enchilada sauce (or taco sauce)
- 15 corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomato halves
- chopped cilantro, sour cream, pickled or fresh jalapenos and salsa for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a 10 or 12 inch skillet, cook the ground beef and diced onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil over medium high heat. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until no pink remains, then drain any excess grease from the pan.
- To the skillet add taco seasoning, seasoned salt, cumin, granulated garlic, lemon pepper, beef stock or water and green chiles. Mix well to combine then simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the liquid is reduced. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- To assemble: Spread ½ cup enchilada sauce onto the bottom of the dish. Top with 5 tortillas, overlapping. (Cut 3 tortillas in half placing straight edge against the side of the dish. Use 2 whole tortillas in the middle.)
- Drizzle tortillas with 1 cup sauce, top with ½ taco meat, ½ cherry tomatoes and ½ black beans. Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Repeat using 5 tortillas, 1 cup sauce, taco meat, ½ cherry tomatoes, black beans and shredded cheese. Top with final layer of tortillas spreading with ½ cup enchilada sauce and final 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Place into the oven, baking for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly around the edge and the cheese is golden. Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve garnished with cilantro, sour cream and jalapenos.
I made this for dinner tonight. It’s delicious!! I thought I wouldn’t like the tomatoes but they enhanced it. Hubby couldn’t stop raving about it. Thank you, Melissa. You did it again. 👍🏽
Hi Keshia, I'm so happy you and your family enjoyed this, thanks!