This Mexican Salsa Chicken and Rice Casserole is a one dish meal packed with flavor and vibrant colors, too. It features Spanish rice, rotisserie chicken and chunky salsa all mixed together and smothered with a perfectly seasoned sauce. Top each serving with sour cream or guacamole and homemade pico de gallo for a one dish homemade fiesta meal at home.
Easy Mexican Salsa Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
This easy chicken and rice casserole is a hearty and filling one dish meal. I often assemble it, cover and chill for those days I need to have something ready to go into the oven as soon as we get home from our busy day. Another busy day recipe is this recipe for Mexican chicken made in a slow cooker from The Seasoned Mom. I love serving this chicken and rice topped with homemade pico de gallo and a drizzle of crema or sour cream. Guacamole is optional but, perfection with this dish, too. How to you make simple Chicken and Rice Casserole with Salsa:
- Chicken – Rotisserie or roasted chicken.
- Rice – Two packages of Spanish seasoned rice cooked per the package directions and cooled.
- Vegetables – Onion, poblano pepper canned pinto beans.
- Olive oil
- Filling – One can of cheddar cheese or fiesta nacho cheese condensed soup, milk, salsa and chive and onion cream cheese.
- Seasonings – Cumin, dark chili powder, garlic salt and lemon pepper.
- Cheese – Shredded sharp cheddar cheese or colby jack cheese.
- Suggested Toppings – Pico de gallo, sour cream and guacamole.
How to Make the Best Mexican Salsa Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Ingredients you’ll need to make this homemade Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole: Two packages Spanish rice, rotisserie chicken, salsa, onion, poblano pepper, canned pinto beans, shredded cheddar cheese, milk, canned fiesta nacho or cheddar cheese soup, chive and onion cream cheese, ground cumin chili powder, lemon pepper, chili powder and pico de gallo and sour cream for serving.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A medium skillet, sharp knife and cutting board, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons, large bowl, rubber spatula or spoon for stirring and 134 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Depending on the brand of Spanish rice used the level of spice and even the color, could vary slightly so adapt the spices as needed.
- For a milder level of heat, use cheddar cheese soup and a mild salsa. Likewise, if spice is your thing, use fiesta nacho soup and a medium or hot salsa to kick things up. the choice is completely yours.
- You can adapt this recipe using black beans in place of pinto beans, if desired.
- To make this casserole in advance as I sometimes do, assemble it completely, cover and chill one day in advance
- Just before baking, allow it to sit on the counter for 20 minutes to come room temperature. You may also need to add 10-15 minutes to the baking time so it will have ample time to cook completely through. Bake until the cheese is golden and the casserole is heated through and bubbly around the edges.
- Store baked Mexican Chicken and Rice chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single serving portions in the microwave.
More Easy Chicken Casseroles to Make
- Southwestern Chicken Taco Lasagna is a one dish meal.
- My Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Recipe features a creamy homemade sauce that’s a home run.
- This recipe for Crockpot Chicken and Dressing Casserole can simmer in your slow cooker while you attend to other things.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Potato Casserole is a family favorite!
- French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole is so simple to make you’ll make it over and over again.
- Chicken and Broccoli Orzo Casserole from Hip Foodie Mom.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Mexican Salsa Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 5 oz packages Spanish flavored rice cooked and cooled
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small poblano pepper seeded and diced
- Olive oil
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cheddar cheese soup or fiesta nacho cheese soup
- 1 1/2 cup 2% or whole milk
- 8 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 3-4 cups rotisserie chicken roughly chopped
- 1 16 oz can pinto beans drained
- 1 cup thick and chunky salsa
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Suggested toppings: pico de gallo. sour cream guacamole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat, saute the diced onion and poblano pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook for about 5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown then remove from the heat.
- In a stand blender whip together the soup, milk and cream cheese until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cooked rice, onion and pepper, blended sauce, chicken, pinto beans, salsa and seasonings. Mix well then pour into the baking dish.
- Top with the shredded cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes until bubbly.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving with pico de gallo and a dollop of sour cream. .