This Fully Loaded Hot Pimento Cheese Dip takes pimento cheese spread to a whole new level with the addition of green onion and smoky bacon. Serve it with crackers, chips or fritos for dipping.
Easy Fully Loaded Hot Pimento Cheese Dip Recipe
Pimento cheese is an iconic Southern snack. If you research the origin, the history can be a bit muddled with no one quite sure exactly where it originated. I’ve read some food historians who claim that pimento cheese evolved from a cream cheese and Spanish red pepper combination made famous when both were sold en masse in the marketplace by manufacturers in several Northern states. Gasp! Here’s what we do know, over the past 100 years mayonnaise-based pimento cheese as we know it, made its way into Southern kitchens and into the hearts of us all. How to make Baked Pimento Cheese Dip: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Filling – Whip together the mayonnaise, cream cheese, sour cream, reserved pimento juice, garlic salt, onion powder, dry mustard and hot sauce for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Cheese – Mix in the shredded pepper jack cheese and cheddar cheese by hand.
- Mix-ins – Fold in diced pimentos, green onions and crumbled bacon.
- Pour into the dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake – Bake in a preheated 350°F oven per the recipe until bubbly.
- Serve – Serve immediately with fresh vegetables, crackers, chips, pretzels, corn chips or garlic bread for dipping.
How to Make the BEST Fully Loaded Hot Pimento Cheese Dip Recipe
Regardless of the origin of pimento cheese, of this I am certain; when I was growing up our refrigerator always had a tub of homemade pimento cheese in it. We enjoyed it on sandwich bread or slathered on fresh celery ribs for between meal snacking. I love it and consider it to be one of the ultimate of Southern treats.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make Fully Loaded Hot Pimento Cheese Dip: Real mayonnaise, shredded pepper jack cheese, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plain cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, garlic salt, onion powder, dry mustard, diced pimento drained reserve juice, green onions and cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Medium bowl, measuring cups and spoons, cheese grater and 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- What is pimento cheese dip? This dip recipe takes traditional Southern pimento cheese in a bit of a different direction. It kicks the flavor up a few notches with the addition of a variety of seasonings, sliced green onion and crumbled bacon for added flavor.
- What are pimentos? You’ll see the spelling as both pimentos and pimientos they’re used interchangeably. Pimientos, are a mild Spanish red bell pepper that gives Southern pimento cheese it’s classic flavor profile.
- You can fully assemble this pimento cheese dip then cover it and chill in the refrigerator one day in advance. Give it 15 or 20 minutes on the counter, then bake it just before serving.
- How do you serve loaded pimento cheese dip? While classic pimento cheese is typically served chilled you can enjoy this pimento cheese dip fresh from the oven with crackers, garlic bread, crackers, pretzels or corn chips for dipping.
- Store baked Pimento Cheese Dip chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in a 350°F oven or in single servings in the microwave.
More Southern Style Pimento Cheese Recipes Make
- A fan favorite for over a decade is this recipe for Three Cheese Pimento Cheese.
- Spanish Olive Pimento Cheese Spread takes classic southern style pimento cheese in another direction wit the addition of olives.
- Pimento Cheese BLT Wrap is ideal for packing lunches and picnics.
- Pimento Cheese Beer Bread makes a spectacular grilled cheese sandwich or stuffed with shaved ham, chicken or turkey.
- You may also enjoy this Pimento Cheese Biscuits from White Lily.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Fully Loaded Hot Pimento Cheese Dip
- 1 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 8 oz pepper-jack cheese shredded
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 7 oz jar diced pimento drained reserve 2 Tbsp juice
- 2 medium green onions thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Whip together the mayonnaise, cream cheese, sour cream, reserved 2 TBsp pimento juice, garlic salt, onion powder, dry mustard and hot sauce for 1-2 minutes to combine.
- By hand fold in the pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, pimento, green onions and bacon. (Reserve 1/2 cup each of cheese to sprinkle on top.)
- Pour into the dish, top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly.
- Serve with veggies, crackers, pretzels, corn chips or garlic bread for dipping.