Eggs Benedict is a classic brunch favorite and this Overnight Eggs Benedict Casserole is a delectable option for the holidays and potluck gatherings. Cubes of smoked ham and toasted English muffins are smothered with a homemade egg custard seasoned to perfection. A drizzle of easy blender hollandaise sauce and it's ready to serve.
Overnight Eggs Benedict Casserole
Eggs Benedict is what many people would consider a restaurant treat. I understand, when it comes to poaching eggs and making homemade hollandaise sauce it's not for everyone. In particular when you're entertaining or at the holidays when you want to spend time making memories and not slaving over a hot stove. This make-ahead casserole will feed eight, depending on appetites of course, and can be assembled in advance and baked when you're ready to eat. That makes it a win for me.
Tips for Overnight Eggs Benedict Casserole Making Success
- For the best result, use half and half as called for in this dish. If you want to adapt, you could use all cream but, preferably not all milk.
- Canadian bacon is typically used for classic Eggs Benedict and as we all know, it's really just thinly sliced rounds of ham. You may of course, use it in place of cubed ham for this dish in the same amount. That said, this is a fantastic way to use leftover holiday ham from Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- The baking dish for this recipe is a 2 quart or 11 x 7 inch oblong dish which is ample for the amount of ingredients. If you'd like to make this in a 13 x 9 inch dish, you'll need to increase the amount of ingredients for the best result. (i.e. Instead of doubling, increase by ½)
- While cheese isn't typically part of traditional Eggs Benedict, keep in mind this is a casserole therefore, it makes sense to add cheese to bind and for added flavor. I love a sharp white cheddar cheese in this casserole but, you can adapt using your favorite flavor of cheese.
More Tips for Making Eggs Benedict
- You may add chopped steamed crisp tender asparagus or spinach to this dish.
- A dusting of paprika on top and a few nobs of butter add color and flavor to the baked casserole that turns the entire dish into eye candy. Don't skip it.
- Depending on the appetites of those you're serving, you can yield 8 larger portions or 12 medium.
- For ease of preparation, you may use a 1.25 oz packet of hollandaise sauce mix in place of the blender version, if you prefer.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Overnight Eggs Benedict Casserole
- 1 12 oz package English muffins split in half and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb fully cooked smoked ham or Canadian bacon cubed
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese divided
- 2 cups half and half
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp dry thyme
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp butter cubed
- 1 recipe Easy Blender Hollandaise Sauce OR 1.25 oz packet Hollandaise Sauce mix
- chopped fresh chives or parsley for garnishing
- Place cubed English muffins on a baking sheet. Leave on counter overnight to dry out or toast under the broiler.
- Spray an 11 x 7 (2 Quart) deep baking dish with cooking spray. Layer ½ of English muffins on bottom, top with ½ ham and ½ shredded cheese. Repeat, ending with cheese.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together half and half, eggs, salt, pepper, mustard, garlic, onion powder, thyme and nutmeg until fully combined. Pour evenly over the ingredients.
- Using the back of a spoon gently press muffin cubes into the custard and make sure it's evenly distributed. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 350°F Remove from fridge 15 minutes prior to baking. Dot top with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Remove plastic wrap and cover with foil. Bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncover and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes until top is golden and a knife inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Meanwhile, make hollandaise sauce. See step-by-step instructions here.
- Let stand 5 minutes on counter. Drizzle with hollandaise just before serving with additional on the side, if desired. Garnish with chives or parsley.