Serve this Disney inspired Ham and Noodle Gratin casserole with a buttery crumb topping, as a side dish or an entrée.
Ham and Noodle Gratin
This past Fall we made our annual trek to the Food & Wine Festival at Walt Disney World in Orlando Florida. As we stroll around the World Showcase at Epcot tasting dishes from countries around the world, I often gain inspiration for dishes to share with my family and ultimately with you here on my website. Our stop at Germany was my inspiration for this ham and noodle dish. Having ancestors of German decent, I find the dishes featured there appeal to me immensely.
Ham and Noodle Gratin Making Tips
Pasta is always a winning option for one dish meals. This gratin is simple but elegant enough for serving when entertaining.
- I like to serve this ham and noodle gratin as a main dish however, it can be served as a breakfast or brunch dish as well.
- The sauce I developed is rich and delicious and I whip it up using my blender. It has a thicker texture than a creamy sauce you may expect from macaroni and cheese to match the noodles we had at our meal at Epcot.
- This particular shredded cheese blend is my favorite for this gratin however, you can use your favorite cheese blend in the same amounts to personalize it to your taste.
- You may also like this recipe forhomemade Egg Noodles from i am Homesteader.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Ham And Noodle Gratin
- 1 lb wide egg noodles
- 2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- ½ lb smoked ham cubed
- 1 8 oz container chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cup half and half
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spritz a 9 x 13-inch with cooking spray.
- Cook the egg noodles per the package instructions until al dente. Drain well.
- Mix together the 4 cups of shredded cheese, divide into thirds. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer or in a stand blender, whisk together the softened cream cheese, half & half, grated Parmesan, 3 eggs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, dry mustard and nutmeg.
- To assemble, layer ⅓ of the cooked egg noodles and ham then sprinkle with ⅓ of the shredded cheese. Repeat 2 more times reserving the last ⅓ of shredded cheese.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the noodles and ham then sprinkle with the final layer of shredded cheese.
- Toss the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese with the melted butter. Sprinkle on top. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and set.
- Check at 25 minutes and lay a piece of aluminum foil on top to prevent over browning, if needed.