This Ham and Noodle Gratin recipe features a decadent three cheese blend and a buttery panko crumb topping making it perfect for serving as a side or an entrée.
Easy Ham and Noodle Gratin Recipe
This past Fall we made our annual trek to the Food and Wine Festival at Walt Disney World in Orlando Florida. As we stroll around the World Showcase at Epcot tasting dishes from countries around the world, I often gain inspiration for dishes to share with my family and ultimately with you here on my website. Our stop at Germany was my inspiration for this ham and noodle dish. Having ancestors of German decent, I find the dishes featured there appeal to me immensely.
How to Make the Best Ham and Noodle Gratin Recipe
Pasta is always a winning option for one dish meals. This gratin is simple but elegant enough for serving when entertaining.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Ham and Noodle Gratin: Egg noodles, cubed ham, shredded cheddar, Swiss and Gruyere cheese, chive and onion cream cheese, large eggs, grated Parmesan cheese, half and half, granulated garlic or garlic powder, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, ground mustard, butter and panko breadcrumbs.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A pasta pot, sharp knife and chopping board, cheese grater, stand blender, measuring cups and spoons and a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- The sauce for this noodle gratin isn’t made on the stovetop. It has a thicker texture than a creamy sauce you may expect from Macaroni and Cheese to match the inspiration we had at our meal at Epcot. This sauce is whipped together using a stand blender. If you don’t have a stand blender, you could use an immersion blender and combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- I like to serve this Ham and Noodle Gratin as a main dish, however it can be served as a breakfast or brunch dish as well.
- You can fully assemble this dish one day in advance, then cover and chill in the refrigerator. allow it 30 minutes on the counter to warm a bit before baking. You may also need to add to the baking time.
- This particular shredded cheese blend is my favorite for this gratin, however you can use your favorite cheese blend in the same amounts to personalize it to your taste.
- Store baked Ham and Noodle Gratin chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Casserole Recipes to Make
There’s nothing like a casserole to fill up the family and make dinner prep a cinch. More casserole recipes you may also like to try:
- Rotel Chicken Spaghetti is always a hit.
- Baked Ziti is ideal for Italian night at home with the family.
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole can be made using rice or riced cauliflower.
- Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is a one dish meal.
- French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole with a salad and garlic bread is a feast.
- Easy Broccoli Casserole is one of my favorite side dishes to make.
- Pizza Casserole from Love from the Oven.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Ham And Noodle Gratin
- 1 12 oz package wide egg noodles
- 2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 lb smoked ham cubed
- 1 8 oz container chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spritz a 13 x 9 inch with cooking spray.
- Cook the egg noodles per the package instructions until al dente. Drain well.
- Mix together the 4 cups of shredded cheese, divide into thirds. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer or in a stand blender, whisk together the softened cream cheese, half & half, grated Parmesan, 3 eggs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, dry mustard and nutmeg.
- To assemble, layer 1/3 of the cooked egg noodles and ham then sprinkle with 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat 2 more times reserving the last 1/3 of shredded cheese.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the noodles and ham then sprinkle with the final layer of shredded cheese.
- Toss the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese with the melted butter. Sprinkle on top. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and set.
- Check at 25 minutes and lay a piece of aluminum foil on top to prevent over browning, if needed.