This recipe for twisted Homemade Breadsticks can be made using a stand mixer or you can go old school and knead the dough by hand. They're buttery and deliciously seasoned making them ideal for serving as a side dish or an appetizer with pizza sauce and cheese fondue for dipping.
Easy Homemade Breadsticks Recipe
I'm a fan of baking and making bread from scratch. There's something about both that makes me feel as if I'm turning something ordinary into something extraordinary using everyday ingredients. Since bread is always a happy sight on the table, I decided to give them a bit of a twist. Literally. They're so pretty and delicious, too.
How to Make the Best Homemade Breadsticks Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make Homemade Breadsticks: Bread flour or all purpose flour, granulated sugar, salt, rapid rise yeast, water, plain Greek yogurt, butter, melted butter to brush the tops prior to baking, dry Italian seasoning, granulated garlic and finely grated Parmesan cheese.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A stand mixer or hand mixer with paddle and dough hook attachments, a large bowl, measuring cups and spoons, a small saucepan, pastry brush and baking sheets.
- Why yogurt? It has this magical effect on the taste of the bread dough giving it a sourdough taste and vibe. It's convenient since you don't actually need a sourdough starter to achieve that flavor. It's a shortcut hack and you'll love it!
- If you don't have a stand mixer, you can still make these breadsticks. After mixing together the warm liquid with the sifted dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix in the remaining flour by hand. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 5 -7 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Proceed with the recipe instructions. It's a great way to work out your frustration and ponder life in general.
- You can sprinkle these breadsticks with sea salt, sesame seeds, poppy seeds or anything else that you enjoy.
- Store leftover baked breadsticks chilled in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
- You can also freeze these breadsticks prior to the final rise. Place formed breadsticks onto a w3ax paper lined sheet pan and into the freezer. Once they're frozen solid, package them for safe keeping. When you need breadsticks, pull them out and arrange them on a pan and let them rise. Brush with butter, season and bake per the recipe.
How to Serve Breadsticks
You can serve these as an appetizer with warm pizza sauce or marinara sauce. You can also enjoy them as a side dish with soup, stews, a salad or any Italian entrées that you enjoy such as lasagna, spaghetti, manicotti or stuffed shells. These breadsticks are also delicious dipped in beer cheese or cheese fondue.
More Easy Southern Style Bread Recipes to Make
Bread is universally loved in any and every form. It's a great way to sop up the last drop of soup or stew and I could easily make a meal out of warm bread slathered with butter. More bread recipes you may also like to try:
- This Cheesy Garlic Bread is the ideal side dish for your next Italian night at home.
- Pull Apart Cinnamon Sugar Breadsticks come with a side of cream cheese glaze for dipping.
- Dutch Oven Artisan White Bread is certain to impress your friends and family.
- Pull Apart Pepperoni Bread Sticks don't require any bread making at all.
- Add this homemade Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread to your breakfast menu and watch it disappear.
- Gluten Free Artisan Bread from GF Jules is sure to make gluten sensitive people in your life smile.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 4 ½-5 cups bread flour or all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 0.25 oz packet rapid rise yeast
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning additional as needed
- 2-4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- To make dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low speed, sift together 1 ½ cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add water and yogurt, increase heat to medium high. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly just until the mixture reaches 120°F-130°F. Remove from heat, add vinegar, mix well.
- Add warm liquid to sifted dry ingredients. Beat with electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed just until smooth.
- Lower the speed of the mixer, switch to the dough hook. Gradually add 3 ½ cups flour. Knead on medium speed just until dough isn't sticky and easy to handle, about 5 minutes. Add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time (up to ½ cup total) only if sticky. The dough should pull away from the sides.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and turn to coat lightly with flour, kneading just until smooth and elastic. Grease mixing bowl, add dough back to bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise 45-60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- To make breadsticks: Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 10 x 8-inch rectangle. Use a sharp knife to cut each rectangle into 8 (1-inch wide) strips. Stretch each strip to about 12 inches long, fold in half and twist several times, pinching both ends to seal. Place onto a lightly buttered baking sheet around 1-2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining dough strips.
- Cover pan loosely with plastic wrap spritzed with cooking spray. Let rise in a warm draft free place for15-20 minutes or just until doubled in size.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix together melted butter, granulated garlic and Italian seasoning in a small bowl.
- Uncover breadsticks, brush the tops and sides with melted butter mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature brushed with additional melted butter, if desired.