This creamy Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti is smothered with a homemade white sauce that makes it a cross between macaroni and cheese and alfredo sauce. Not bad company, right? This delectable dish is another one of my go-to dishes when I need to feed a crowd on a budget. The creamy and decadent homemade white sauce makes it company worthy.
Easy Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
A retro version of this chicken spaghetti recipe would be chicken tetrazzini which is what my Mom would have made for us as kids. This spaghetti recipe features a homemade cheese sauce that's amazing and has the creamy texture you would expect from a bechamel sauce. It's worth the extra effort to make it, and the ingredients can likely already be found in your pantry. That's always a dinner win.
How to Make the Best Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
This baked chicken casserole is one that only needs a couple of side dishes to round out the entire meal. You might like to add roasted vegetables or homemade rolls to make it a family friendly weekday feast.
- Ingredients you'll need to make Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti casserole recipe: Spaghetti, onion, sliced baby portabella mushrooms, celery, olive oil, minced garlic, butter, seasoned salt, black pepper, all purpose flour to make the sauce, whole milk, dried Italian seasoning grated Parmesan cheese, diced pimentos or diced roasted red bell pepper, rotisserie chicken and shredded white cheddar cheese or your favorite Italian blend of cheese.
- The sauce for this chicken spaghetti is made from scratch and doesn't utilize canned soups. It's incredibly creamy and delicious and you'll note it only takes a few pantry ingredients to make it.
- I use diced pimentos in this chicken spaghetti recipe but please note that the same amount of roasted red bell peppers will work beautifully.
- You can use rotisserie chicken, poached chicken or leftover roasted chicken in the same amount for this recipe. You could even use cooked and chopped boneless chicken thighs.
- You might also like to add crumbled bacon or pancetta to the mixture before pouring it into the casserole dish for baking.
- This chicken spaghetti can be fully assembled the night before then baked when you're ready to eat. When doing so, give it 15-20 minutes on the counter to warm to room temperature before baking.
- Store leftover cheesy chicken spaghetti in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in single serving portions to prevent drying out.
More Southern Style Spaghetti Recipes to Make
To round out the meal, add a big fresh homemade spinach salad and a basket of homestyle garlic-herb bread and turn it into a spaghetti feast. Checkout these family-style recipes for more pasta recipes to love:
- Baked Pizza Spaghetti which is a pasta version of a loaded up supreme pizza.
- Are you watching carbs? Checkout my delicious recipe for Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash.
- Italian Spaghetti Salad with Spinach can double as a side dish or an entrée.
- Chili Spaghetti is perfect for game day and casual meals.
- Restaurant quality Easy Shrimp Scampi for your seafood lovers.
- Pasta Primavera from The Novice Chef.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- 1 lb thin spaghetti
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- 1 8 oz container sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon each seasoned salt and black pepper
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus 2 Tbsp
- 4 oz jar pimentos OR diced roasted red bell peppers well drained
- 3 cup cooked chicken roughly chopped
- 3 cup shredded white sharp cheddar cheese or Italian cheese blend divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spritz a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted water per the package directions until al dente. Drain well.
- On the stove top in a medium-size pot, cook the diced onion, mushrooms and celery in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables soften and are beginning to brown. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove to a large mixing bowl.
- In the same saucepan melt 1 stick of butter. Add the flour stirring constantly over medium-high heat.
- Begin to whisk in the milk. Continue to cook, stirring continuously over medium heat until the sauce comes to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 2 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, and black pepper. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste, if needed.
- Remove from the heat and add ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Add the cooked spaghetti, cooked chicken, pimentos and 2 cups of shredded cheese to the large mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over and stir until combined.
- Pour into the baking dish and top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbly.