This creamy Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti is smothered with a homemade white sauce that makes it a cross between macaroni and cheese and alfredo sauce. Not bad company, right? This delectable dish is another one of my go-to dishes when I need to feed a crowd with not a lot of money. The creamy and decadent homemade white sauce makes it company worthy.
A retro version of this is Chicken Tetrazzini which is what my Mom would have made for us as kids. The homemade cheese sauce is amazing and has the creamy texture you would expect from a bechamel sauce. It's worth the extra effort to make it and the ingredients can be found in your pantry. Add a big salad and a basket of Homestyle Garlic-Herb Bread and it's a spaghetti feast!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- 1 lb thin spaghetti
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 celery rib finely diced
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms [or your preference]
- olive oil
- 4 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup [1 stick] butter or light butter
- seasoned salt and black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup AP flour
- 4 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus 2 Tbsp
- 4 oz jar pimentos well drained
- 3 cup cooked chicken roughly chopped
- 3 cup shredded white sharp cheddar cheese or Italian cheese blend divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spritz a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted water per the package directions until al dente. Drain well.
- On the stove top in a medium-size pot, cook the diced onion, mushrooms and celery in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables soften and are beginning to brown. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove to a large mixing bowl.
- In the same saucepan melt 1 stick of butter. Add the flour stirring constantly over medium-high heat.
- Begin to whisk in the milk. Continue to cook, stirring continuously over medium heat until the sauce comes to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 2 tsp dry Italian seasoning, 1 tsp seasoned salt, and black pepper. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste, if needed.
- Remove from the heat and add ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Add the cooked spaghetti, cooked chicken, pimentos and 2 cups of shredded cheese to the large mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over and stir until combined.
- Pour into the baking dish and top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.