Homemade Cheddar Cheese Crackers – These cheddar crackers are cheesy, crisp and all natural ideal for serving at a causal get together or tailgating party. This recipe is made using one of White Lily’s premium new flours Enriched All Purpose Wheat Flour. You may remember that I visited with the folks at While Lily last year in the beautiful city of Nashville TN. During my visit, they introduced these new products to a group of great bloggers telling us about their new premium flours made from domestically grown wheat. We were treated to homemade breads, fluffy hot biscuits slathered with Smuckers jam and butter and lots of good food. Perhaps more accurately I should say astounding amounts of good food. While the new variety of flours available are spectacular, I was overjoyed to learn that the wheat was being harvested and grown right here in the USA and you can even trace the wheat to the very farm on which it was grown.
While you may think making crackers from scratch seems like it would involve a ton of work it actually doesn’t. The beauty of these crackers is that you could make them using any flavor of cheese that you like and personalize them to your taste. How impressive it would be to put out a plate of homemade crackers at your next girlfriend chatter session or package them in cellophane goody bags as a take home treat. Making delectable cheddar cheese filled crackers and supporting local farmers counts as win-win in my kitchen cookbook.
Homemade Cheddar Cheese Crackers
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® All Purpose Wheat Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- Coarse kosher salt
- COMBINE flour, salt and cayenne pepper in food processor fitted with chopping blade. Cover and pulse a few times to blend ingredients. Add cheese and butter. Pulse until dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Divide dough in half. Roll out one half to 1/8-inch thickness on flat surface. Cut into 1-inch squares using a pizza cutter. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt, if desired. Make a small hole in center of each cracker using a metal or wooden skewer. Place crackers on ungreased baking sheets using turner. Repeat with remaining dough.
- BAKE 12 to 13 minutes or until crackers begin to turn light golden brown. Cool on baking sheet 3 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container.
- If you do not have a food processor, dough ingredients can be mixed by hand in large bowl, then kneaded on flat surface until well blended. Dough will be very stiff.