This Instant Pot Beef and Bean Chili is packed with flavor. It's such a flexible recipe, for your convenience, I've included stovetop and slow cooker instructions, too. Top a big bowl with your favorite fixins’ and, it makes a fun supper or game day snack in no time flat.
Instant Pot Chili is Easy and Delicious
When it comes to chili recipes, there are no shortage of types and variations. Whether it's a big bowl of classic chili, hot wing inspired buffalo chicken chili or no beans allowed Texas style beef chili, it's a guaranteed winner with my family.
Helpful Tips for Making Chili in an Instant Pot
Instant pots not only speed up the cooking process, they lock in and intensify the flavor in far less cooking time. All of our busy lifestyles have no doubt, increased their popularity. One advantage is, an instant pot is able to cook this chili from start to finish.
- Start with a quality ground sirloin or ground chuck for optimum flavor.
- You can use pinto beans or black beans in place of kidney beans, if that's your preference.
- When preparing the jalapeno pepper carefully remove the seeds before chopping, unless you like it super spicy. Always be careful to wash your hands thoroughly after handling peppers, and avoid touching your eyes.
- Generally speaking, the more red the chili powder the more the heat.
- You can make this chili on the stovetop and in a slow cooker, as well. See the Cook's note for instruction for each.
- Set-up a toppings bar of sour cream, shredded cheese, green onion, fritos or tortilla chips or a pan of cornbread for serving.
Other Chili Recipes to Try
Regardless if you like chili in a bowl, or incorporating it into the dinner menus in other forms, here's a little inspiration:
- Chili Cheese Frito Pie
- Oven Chili Cheese Dogs
- Chicken Chili
- Chili Cheese Corn Dog Muffins
- Skip the meat and enjoy this Vegetarian Chili recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Instant Pot Beef and Bean Chili
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium jalapeno or poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 2 lbs ground sirloin or ground chuck
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low sodium beef stock or broth
- 2 15 oz cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste divided
- 2 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp paprika or ½ tsp cayenne
- Sour cream, lime slices, green onion, cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese and fritos for serving
- Turn Instant Pot to saute function. Drizzle the bottom with oil. Add onion and jalapeno. Saute just until softening about 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef. Cook until no pink remains. Tilt insert and skim excess fat with a large spoon. Add garlic, cooking for 1 minute longer.
- To the pot add broth, tomatoes, beans, ½ tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, lemon pepper, paprika and cocoa powder. Mix well
- Turn Instant Pot to "chili" function OR manual maintaining high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release for 10-15 minutes or quick release with vent. Uncover, stir and thicken further with remaining tomato paste
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, green onion, cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese and fritos or any of your favorite toppings for serving