Jamaican Jerk Meatballs
Author: Melissa Sperka
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- ½ medium red pepper, finely diced
- olive oil
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground fresh pork
- 1 lb [85/15] ground beef
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp Jamaican Jerk seasoning [i.e.McCormick's]
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- Dipping sauce:
- 1 cup of spicy Caribbean Jerk Marinade & Sauce [i.e. KC Masterpiece]
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a stove top pan, saute the diced onion and red pepper in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil just until translucent. Add the minced garlic and continue to saute for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the sauteed vegetables, ground pork, ground beef, breadcrumbs, beaten eggs, milk, pineapple juice, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, jerk seasoning, salt and black pepper. Using your hands mix until combined.
- Form into bite sized balls and place onto the baking sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes. Increase the temperature to 425°F and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until browned.
- Serve with the spicy Caribbean dipping sauce.
- Optional serving idea: Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray. In a small mixing bowl, mix together ⅓ cup of Caribbean jerk marinade & sauce, ⅔ cup of chili sauce, and 1 10 oz jar of pineapple preserves. Mix together and pour over the cooked meatballs in the slow cooker.
- Simmer on low for 2 hours, then keep warm until serving.