- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 lb fresh chorizo sausage
- 1 lb 85/15 ground beef
- 1 cup shredded manchego cheese
- 1/2 cup dried Parmesan flavored breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- black pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the buttermilk. Remove the casing from the chorizo then add to the bowl along with the ground beef.
- Add the shredded cheese, breadcrumbs, buttermilk, green onions, sun dried tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Mix well and shape into bite size balls.
- Fry in a large stove top pan in 1/2 inch of vegetable oil until brown and coked through, around 5-8 minutes.
- Place the meatballs on paper towels to drain. Keep warm until serving.
- Serve with a side of cilantro pesto or a spicy tomato sauce.
- Optional serving idea: Toast hoagie rolls and make a Spanish meatball sub. Drizzle a spicy marinara sauce over the meatballs and sprinkle additional manchego cheese on top.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese melts, then serve.
Manchego cheese is a Spanish sheep milk cheese. It's pairs beautifully with the chorizo sausage in these meatballs. If you can't find it, a white sharp cheddar would work well. For a time saver, you can make the meatballs and freeze them before cooking for later use