Make these mouthwatering homemade Spanish Meatballs to serve as an appetizer, on toasted hoagie rolls or over rice as an entrée.
Spanish Meatballs Recipe
During the Holiday season you'd be hard pressed to attend an event that didn't feature meatballs in some shape or form. I venture to say at almost every gathering you'd find meatballs in a variety of flavors. To add a little spice to our meatball menu, I wanted to think outside of the box and come up with a fresh idea to add to our meatball menu this year and that's how these Spanish meatballs came to life. They're filled with robust flavors and Spanish Manchego sheep's milk cheese, making them an instant hit.
How to Serve Spanish Meatballs
These Spanish inspired meatballs could be served as an appetizer or as a main course. They're super flavorful and can stand up to a very robust sauce of your choice.
- When serving as a main course, make them larger and serve with a rice or pasta side dish.
- You could even wrap them up in a warm tortilla and enjoy with a sprinkle of queso fresco and a dollop of sour cream.
- You can also stuff them onto toasted hoagie rolls, drizzle with pesto or tomato sauce and enjoy a Spanish inspired hoagie.
- Drizzle them with a spicy tomato sauce and a generous dollop of of cilantro pesto would be a nice touch to feature on the side.
- Manchego cheese is a Spanish sheep's milk cheese. It's pairs beautifully with the chorizo sausage in these meatballs. If you can't find it, a white sharp cheddar would work well.
- For a time saver, you can make the meatballs and freeze them before cooking for later use
- Other meatball recipes to try: Saucy Teriyaki Meatballs and Slow Cooked Asian Meatballs in an easy orange sauce.
- You may also like this recipe for Spanish Tortillas from Mediterranean Dish.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Servings: 40 servings
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 lb fresh chorizo sausage
- 1 lb 85/15 ground beef
- 1 cup shredded manchego cheese
- ½ cup dried Parmesan flavored breadcrumbs
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- black pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the buttermilk. Remove the casing from the chorizo then add to the bowl along with the ground beef.
- Add the shredded cheese, breadcrumbs, buttermilk, green onions, sun dried tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Mix well and shape into bite size balls.
- Fry in a large stove top pan in ½ inch of vegetable oil until brown and cooked through, around 5-8 minutes.
- Place the meatballs on paper towels to drain. Keep warm until serving.
- Serve with a side of cilantro pesto or a spicy tomato sauce.
Optional serving idea: Serve on warm tortillas or toasted hoagie rolls and make a Spanish meatball sub. Drizzle a spicy marinara sauce over the meatballs and sprinkle additional manchego cheese on top.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 330mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 124IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg