A big bowl of this homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs spells comfort food any night of the week. Add a salad and garlic bread to round out your homemade Italian feast.
Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs Recipe
This recipe for spaghetti and meatballs is the kind that always brings the family to the table. Keeping dinner options fresh is often a challenge for the best of cook's. I have moments myself. Days when I've been working on a dessert recipe or a client's campaign that needs my full attention, results in our dinner getting pushed to the back burner. See what I did there? Truth is, it can be a challenge for us all but, dishes like this homestyle spaghetti and meatballs is one that all ages love to eat.
How to Make the Best Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make Spaghetti and Meatballs from scratch: Lean ground beef, Italian sausage, panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, diced onion, dried Italian seasoning, salt, garlic, red pepper flakes, milk, eggs and parsley.
- For the Italian sauce or Italian gravy: Crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, olive oil, dried Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. You'll also need cooked spaghetti and fresh chopped parsley for garnishing just before serving.
- These delicious meatballs can be formed and frozen either before or after baking.
- To freeze unbaked, place onto a sheet pan and into the freezer until firm. Pop into a freezer safe storage container or bag and you're halfway there for a future meal. They can be baked from frozen, adding enough baking time to cook through. Likely, it will take another 5-10 minutes. Alternately, thaw in the fridge overnight and bake per the recipe.
- To freeze after baking. Cool the meatballs completely then pop into an airtight freezer safe container or bag and freeze. They can be thawed in the fridge and then added to the sauce to reheat.
- The sauce can also be prepared in advance, cooled and frozen or chilled until you're ready to combine with the meatballs to reheat.
- Store leftover spaghetti and meatballs in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in single serving portions. You can also reheat over medium heat in a saucepan on the stovetop.
Southern Style Side Dishes to Serve with Spaghetti and Meatballs
Salad and garlic bread are both classic options and you can never go wrong with either one. While I have many to choose from, I always like to highlight a few other options for you to consider:
- Pull apart Mozzarella Cheese Garlic Bread is the kind of shareable food that everyone loves.
- Crispy Roasted Panko Parmesan Broccoli is perfection baked in the oven.
- Tear and Share Cheesy Italian Bread Twists are made using frozen bread dough for a shortcut hack.
- Fresh Spinach Salad with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette eats like a meal.
- Italian Green Beans and Tomatoes from Plain Chicken.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
- 1 medium onion finely diced (reserve 3 tablespoon for sauce)
- 1 tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 large cloves garlic, minced reserve 1 ½ teaspoon for sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional (may use ½ teaspoon black pepper instead)
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- olive oil
- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon can Italian seasoned tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon each salt and black pepper may adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 lb dry spaghetti for serving cooked to al dente per package instructions
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a broiler pan or a large baking pan fitted with a rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To a medium size mixing bowl add ground beef and sausage, onion, panko, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic and red pepper flakes. Beat milk and eggs together then, add to the bowl. Using your hands, mix everything together thoroughly.
- Form into 1 ½ - 2 inch meatballs and place onto the rack without touching. (I use a 2 oz ice cream scoop to keep meatballs uniform in size) Bake for 25 minutes.
- While meatballs bake, in a large pot on the stovetop, heat a couple of drizzles of oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, and simmer for 1-2 minutes or just until translucent. Add garlic, saute for 1 minute longer.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, dry Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and sugar. Simmer over medium low, covered while meatballs bake.
- Add cooked meatballs to sauce, gently stir to coat. Simmer over medium low uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti, garnished with fresh parsley and additional Parmesan.