This Lemon Curd Tart is bright and fresh just like a warm weather dessert should be. It’s simplicity at its best with a homemade lemon curd filling that’s encased in a golden cookie crust. The top is decorated with dainty whipped cream stars. Garnish with fresh lemon slices and chill then the only thing left to do is the eating.
The appeal of lemon, and citrus flavors in general to me is the simple fact that they taste like a bite of sunshine. I begin this fresh lemon tart with my own homemade lemon curd recipe adding gelatin to stabilize it for slicing and serving. Plain gelatin can be easily located on the baking aisle of most grocery stores and is inexpensive to boot. Don’t be intimidated using gelatin it’s simple to incorporate into the lemon curd filling and adds no flavor at all. I personally love leaving the zest in my lemon curd and skip straining the filling through a fine mesh sieve. If you prefer a completely smooth pie filling, feel free to go the extra step and strain the pie filling. You can serve this tart with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh berries or just as it is, there’s no wrong way to go.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Lemon Curd Tart
- 1 1/2 cups lemon wafer OR shortbread cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup salted butter melted
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 medium lemons finely zested with a microplane
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 4 large eggs plus one egg yolk room temerpature
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 0.25 oz packet plain unflavored gelatin
- Fresh berries and whipped cream for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium size bowl mix together the cookie crumbs, butter and sugar. Press into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Bake until lightly golden and set, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl mix together the sugar and lemon zest until fully combined.
- Use a whisk or electric mixer on low speed to cream the butter with the lemon sugar.
- Add the whole eggs and yolk one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add the lemon juice. Mix well.
- Pour into a heavy bottomed saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened to a pudding consistency about 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Adjust the temp down, if needed.
- Meanwhile, place 2 Tbsp cold water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top; let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove lemon curd from heat and add softened gelatin. Mix well until gelatin is completely incorporated. Pour into baked tart shell. (See Cook's note)
- Chill for 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with whipped cream and fresh berries.