This luscious and tangy Homemade Lemon Curd is what citrus dreams are made of. Lemon curd is incredibly easy to make with simple pantry ingredients ideal for serving as a spread for cookies, scones, English muffins or used as a filling for cakes and pies. The bright citrus flavor and fresh lemon zest give it just enough kick to balance the sweetness.
Lemon is usually thought of as a spring and summer flavor eaten during warm weather. I often think of it as a bite of sunshine on a rainy day. Being a lover of all things lemon in every season lemon curd is a fantastic way to enjoy the flavor of citrus with little effort. Making lemon curd is not only easier than you may think but, it’s also versatile. Slather it on a freshly baked blueberry scone with whipped cream or creme fraiche or elevate a simple piece of pound cake with a generous dollop and a sprinkle of fresh berries for a truly satisfying no fuss treat. It’s also delicious on muffins and tasty when used in place of jam on toast.
Lemon curd also makes an amazing homemade gift for teachers, friends and neighbors. Fill decorative mason jars with freshly made lemon curd and cover the top with a piece of burlap. Tie the jar with a pretty bow and it becomes a homemade gift that really showcases your thoughtfulness. Its the sort of lemon filled goodness that’s sure to be unforgettable.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Homemade Lemon Curd
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 medium lemons finely zested with a microplane
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened (1 stick)
- 4 large eggs plus one egg yolk (Room temperature)
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- In a medium-size mixing bowl mix together the sugar and lemon zest until fully combined.
- Use a whisk or electric mixer on low speed to cream the butter with the lemon sugar.
- Add the whole eggs and yolk one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add the lemon juice. Mix well.
- Pour into a heavy bottomed saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened to a pudding consistency about 10-12 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Adjust the temp down, if needed.
- Cool then store chilled in a mason jar or air tight container for up to 1 week.
For a completely smooth lemon curd strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove lemon zest.