This Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle is a dessert filled with creamy irresistible citrus deliciousness. It starts with our family recipe for Lemon Lovers Pound Cake that's liberally brushed with a homemade lemon simple syrup. The pound cake is cubed and then layered with fluffy lemon cream and whipped cream then garnished with fresh lemon slices. It's outrageously delicious!
Easy Outrageous Lemon Trifle Recipe
I am a huge fan of trifles both sweet and savory. They fall into the category of edible centerpieces in my kitchen and I gravitate to them in various flavors when entertaining. I have several over-the-top trifle desserts on the website that remain fan favorites:
- Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle is always a winner.
- Raspberry-Lemon Cheesecake Trifle filled with plump fresh raspberries and lemon cake.
- For the chocolate peanut butter fans my Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie trifle never disappoints.
- Red Velvet White Chocolate Cheesecake Trifle is ideal for any special occasion.
How to Make the Best Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle
When spring blooms so does this Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle in my Southern kitchen. It's a happy flavor combination that's spectacular for any occasion such as a bridal or baby shower, girls night with friends, Easter dinner, Mother's Day, a casual backyard picnic, a church potluck and beyond.
- Ingredients you'll need to make Lemon Lovers Trifle recipe: Lemon pound cake and ½ cup granulated sugar and ½ cup lemon juice to make the simple syrup to brush on the cake layers. Whole milk or half and half plus 2 boxes of instant lemon pudding mix, Dream Whip mix, whipped cream or Cool Whip to frost the top and grated white chocolate and lemon slices to arrange on top.
- Let's talk trifle bowls. I am a trifle lover and have a variety in different sizes. This is a big lemon trifle and you'll need a 5 quart or larger bowl to make it. You can also use any large glass bowl to display the layers or in a pinch make it in a 13 x 9 inch dish. If you plan on purchasing a trifle dish now or in the future, my rule of thumb is go bigger not smaller.
- You can make this trifle using a stand mixer or a hand mixer. A stand mixer makes light work of the extended amount of time it takes to fully whip the lemon filling. That said, either will work, of course.
- Dream Whip is a dry whipped topping mix that's readily available on the baking aisle of most grocery stores including stores like Walmart and Target. It's an important ingredient to make the layers for this lemon trifle adding a creamy texture, volume and flavor.
- You can make this trifle using my recipe for lemon lovers pound cake or my lemon butter bundt cake. If you're pressed for time with no time to bake, you could use a lemon or vanilla cake from your local bakery in a pinch.
- This trifle can be made one day in advance, then covered and chilled in the refrigerator. When doing so, wait and decorate and garnish the top until just before serving.
- You can store leftovers chilled in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
More Lemon Lovers Desserts to Make
This stunning outrageous lemon trifle should be made and assembled in advance and thoroughly chilled to allow the flavors to become even more robust. It's a happy dessert for a happy occasion. More lemon desserts you may like to try:
- My easy Lemon Ice Box Pie is a dreamy warm weather dessert.
- Yummy Lemon Burst Poke Cake is topped with a decadent lemon infused cream cheese frosting.
- Scrumptious Lemon Curd Tart made in a graham cracker crust.
- Light and tasty Lemon Chiffon Cheese Bars are a riff on gooey butter cake.
- Special Lemon Layer Cake from Well Plated.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle
- 1 Lemon Lovers Pound Cake cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 2.7 oz box Dream Whip
- 3 cup very cold whole milk divided
- 2 3.4 oz boxes instant lemon pudding mix
- 16 oz frozen whipped topping OR 4 cups fresh sweetened whipped cream
- 2 tablespoon grated white chocolate
- Lemon slices and sprigs of fresh mint for garnishing
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat the granulated sugar and lemon juice together. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved then set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer whip together the Dream Whip [The box contains 2 envelopes use both] and 2 cups of cold whole milk. Whip for 5 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Add both packages of lemon pudding and the remaining 1 cup of whole milk. Whip for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- To assemble, Divide the cubed cake in half. Begin with a layer of cubed cake on the bottom of the trifle bowl. Brush with ½ of the lemon syrup. Add a layer of lemon cream and ½ of the whipped topping. Repeat with cake, brush with lemon syrup, lemon cream ending with whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the top with grated white chocolate and garnish with lemon slice and fresh mint if desired.
- Chill thoroughly for at least 4 hours prior to serving.