Dishes like this Linguine With A Roasted Vegetable Ragu can be served as a spectacular meat free entree or as a pasta side dish. To make the ragu, lightly seasoned oven roasted vegetables are added to a simmering fire roasted tomato sauce made on the stove top. It’s tossed with cooked linguine then topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese just before serving.
My brother is a vegetarian and often when he visits, I feel as if I am serving a variety of side dishes. So, I developed this pasta dish for one such visit and fell in love with it myself. It’s quite possibly my all time favorite light and healthy all vegetable main dish. There’s room for personalizing with the vegetable mixture and you can use a combination of what you like most. For example, mushrooms or broccoli florets also roast well in the oven and would add a different texture to the mix. The tomato ragu begins with fire roasted tomatoes that are simmered on the stove top while the vegetables roast. After tossing with cooked linguine you can call it a meal. I like to top it off with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese for the finishing touch and a basket of warm garlic bread wouldn’t hurt. Vegetarians and meat lovers alike enjoy it so for me, it doesn’t get any better than that.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Linguine With A Roasted Vegetable Ragu
- 2 large zucchini cubed
- 2 large large yellow squash cubed
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small orange bell pepper seeded and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can Italian seasoned tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley
- 1 lb linguine cooked to al dente
- 4 oz shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F . Spritz a baking sheet liberally with cooking spray.
Place zucchini, squash and peppers on baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic salt and black pepper. Stir until coated.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes or until golden, stirring once midway through cooking.
Meanwhile, drizzle 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the diced onion and cook over medium high until the onion becomes translucent and is beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute for one additional minute.
Add fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, sugar and oregano. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Simmer over low heat until the vegetables are done.
Add roasted vegetables, basil and parsley to tomato sauce. Stir until evenly distributed in sauce.
Toss the ragu with the cooked linguine and top with grated Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.