Our Love of Coconut
We are true coconut lovers at our house and enjoy it in desserts and savory dishes alike. Either way it’s on our list of favored flavors. Being from the South, we also love pound cakes in any way, shape, or form. They’re the kind of cakes our Mom’s and Gramma’s made, tried and true. So, our love of coconut and pound cakes collide into this beautiful cake that makes a showstopping sweet ending to any meal.
How Did Pound Cake Earn Its Name?
Traditionally, pound cakes are made using a pound of flour, a pound of sugar and a pound of butter, hence the name. As with all traditional recipes, ingredients and amounts have been modified by bakers through the years and tweaked to their liking. Admittedly, I am pound cake obsessed. They’re like a crowning achievement to me when I make and serve one and their incredibly versatile, too. Perhaps you’re in the mood for a brown sugar pound cake or a fruity version like a pineapple pound cake with cream cheese glaze. You can’t go wrong, they’re all equally delicious. This coconut cream version satisfies a craving for coconut with creamy subtle undertones that even non coconut fans will like. Made from scratch with lots of coconut love. See also Coconut Cream Cake, Pineapple Coconut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, Banana Coconut Bundt Cake and 10 Coconut Cake Recipes.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- Bundt Pan
- Stand Mixer
- Engraveable Customized Wedding Cake Server & Knife Set
- Large Pedestal Cake Plate & Dome
Coconut Cream Pound Cake With A Vanilla Cream Glaze
- For the cake you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cup [3 sticks] softened butter
- 2 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla or 1 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 [3.4 oz] box coconut cream instant pudding mix
- 3 cup all purpose flour plus 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- For the vanilla cream glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4-5 Tbsp heavy cream [plus add'l as needed]
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray a standard 10 inch bundt pan with baking spray or butter and flour. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and instant pudding.
- Begin to add the flour and cream alternatively to the butter/sugar mixture. Stop and scrape the bowl as needed. Mix until fully combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Stir in 1 cup of flaked coconut by hand.
- Spread the batter into the pan. Bounce the pan a few times on the counter to remove any air bubbles and settle the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes back clean. [oven temps vary] Cool completely then invert onto a serving platter.
- To make the vanilla cream glaze: After the cake has cooled, mix together the ingredients for the glaze. Start with 4 tablespoons of heavy cream. adding additional cream until it reaches a "drizzle" consistency.
- Drizzle on the top and down the sides of the cake and sprinkle the toasted coconut on top.