Mom’s Zucchini Bread – This zucchini bread is the original love from the oven. In my opinion, anyway. Moist and delicious and no doubt a way for my Mom to get us kids to eat more vegetables. It’s the challenge of every generation I suppose, and having my own children now I totally understand it. My kids love this zucchini bread, just like I loved it before them and in turn I grew to adore zucchini in any form. I can only hope the same will happen for them.
The difference in this recipe is the amazing spice blend. It’s reminiscent of pumpkin pie spice so feel free to adapt if you have some on hand. And yes, it really does take 1 Tbsp of cinnamon to flavor the amount of ingredients in this zucchini bread. Keep in mind this recipe makes 2 loaves and freezes beautifully as well.
When zucchini comes in with a vengeance and you’ve exhausted all uses for it, bake a few loaves and stash them away for cold weather days. It tastes so good with a cup of hot coffee or tea and it’s made for sharing with a friend. If you love quick breads, checkout my Cream Cheese Frosted Carrot Cake Loaf and Harvest Apple Bread.
Mom's Zucchini Bread
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice [or clove]
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray (2) 8x4x5 inch loaf pans with baking spray. Set aside.
- Sift together the all-purpose flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground ginger, allspice and nutmeg.
- Cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually to the creamed mixture. Beat until all of the ingredients are fully moistened. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the shredded zucchini and nuts by hand.
- Divide between the loaf pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center show moist crumbs.
- Cool in the pan for 30 minutes then carefully remove from the pan to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Do you have extra pumpkin pie spice in your spice cupboard? Use 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp ground cinnamon in place of the cinnamon, ginger, clove and allspice in the recipe.