These scrumptious Oven Chili Cheese Dogs feature buttery toasted buns stuffed with hot dogs topped with homemade chili sauce and a heaping helping of cheddar cheese. They have all of the makings of a delicious family meal certain to fill hungry bellies after a busy day.
Easy Oven Chili Cheese Dogs Recipe
Hot dogs remind most people of ballpark eats. There's nothing quite like going to a baseball game and chowing down on fully dressed hot dogs during the game. It's as American as apple pie. I also associate them with a drive-in movie theater that we used to visit many moons ago in Virginia. I know what you're thinking, a drive-in movie theater? Yes! There are still a few of those left scattered here and there throughout the South. They're more like museums, now. The local drive-in was THE place to be on a Friday and Saturday night. I'm not sure if it was the movies or the socializing that made it popular for so many people but, for me it was all about concessions and their famous chili dogs. They were melt-in-your mouth good.
How to Make the Best Oven Chili Cheese Dogs Recipe
Movie eats consisted of hot dogs stuffed into soft steamed buns, with sweet onions and yellow mustard and a drizzle of chili sauce. They still rank among my favorite foods. Since there's no way to recreate those drive-in goodies, when hot dogs are requested by my family I make these oven chili cheese dogs. They're easy to assemble then pop them into the oven to bake while you settle in for a night at home.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Oven Chili Cheese Dogs: 8 bun length hot dogs, 8 hot dog buns, ketchup, mustard, ground beef, onion, olive oil, chili powder, cumin, ground mustard, cayenne, salt, black pepper, ground mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, butter, shredded cheddar cheese and green onions.
- Kitchen tools you'll need to make Oven Chili Cheese Dogs: A 13 x 9 inch baking dish, skillet, measuring cups and spoons, large spoon for stirring, cheese grater, sharp knife and cutting board.
- When making these, it's ideal to use a really good quality hot dog since it's the star of these oven dogs. You can use your favorite brand.
- I highly recommend buttering the buns to add another level of flavor.
- It's perfectly fine to go ahead and make the chili sauce topping in advance, then chill. This can be done up to 2 days ahead to save time. When I'm ready, all that's left to do is assemble the dogs and toss them into the oven.
- Store baked Oven Chili Cheese Dogs chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a preheated 350F oven for 5-10 minutes or just until heated through. You can also reheat in an air fryer or microwave.
- For more hot dog inspiration see my recipe for Hot Dog Cheesy Macaroni Casserole.
More Easy Supper Recipes to Make
- The family always comes running for homemade Sloppy Joes.
- Chicken Pot Pie Crescent Ring is a handheld version of chicken pot pie.
- Cozy up to a bowl of Chili with Beans to warm you from the inside out.
- Turn leftover pinto beans into these Pinto Bean Cakes for a round two meal.
- Air Fryer Meatloaf is delicious on day one and turned into meatloaf sandwiches for another day.
- Lemon Butter Chicken with Tarragon comes together in minutes.
- Pretzel Dogs from Buns in My Oven.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Oven Chili Cheese Dogs
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- Olive oil
- 1 ½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon dark chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 8 count package hot dog buns
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 15 oz package bun length beef hot dogs
- 2 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 4 green onion sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. . Lightly spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the diced onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil until translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the pan. Season with garlic salt and black pepper. Cook until no pink remains, then drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce to the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes then remove from the heat. (This can be made in advance and chilled until assembly)
- Arrange the buns in the baking dish and brush on all sides with melted butter. Place one hot dog in each bun and top with a drizzle of mustard and ketchup.
- Divide the chili sauce among the hot dogs and top each with cheese.
- Cover with a piece of aluminum foil spritzed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover in the last 5 minutes continuing to bake until the tops are lightly toasted.
- Garnish with sliced green onion and serve with sweet pickle relish and cole slaw on the side, if desired.