This easy Paella Casserole is a riff on classic paella. Making it in casserole form brings it to the dinner table any night of the week.
- This dish can be assembled one day in advance, covered and chilled until baking.
- When assembling in advance, give it 15 minutes on the counter to come to room temperature before baking.
- Paella is often served with a parsley or cilantro pesto that includes toasted almonds or pine nuts. For a shortcut you can garnish with toasted almonds instead. The crunchy nutty flavor really compliments the spicy flavors in this dish.
- If you'd like to whip-up pesto, I highly recommend trying my homemade Cilantro Pesto as a topping.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 diced sweet onion
- ½ cup green pepper diced
- ½ cup red pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 5 oz package saffron rice
- 2 cups roasted chicken roughly chopped
- 1 13 oz smoked turkey sausage sliced
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes seasoned for chili
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of celery soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup pimento stuffed green olives
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack or manchego cheese divided
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro [reserve 1 Tbsp for the top]
- ½ cup frozen petite peas
- 10-12 medium/large raw shrimp peeled deveined, tails removed [optional]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium size pot, cook the diced pepper and onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften and brown. Add the minced garlic and saute for another minute. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the dry saffron rice and the amount of water called for on the package to the cooked veggies.
- Prepare the rice per the instructions on the package being careful not to overcook. Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the cooked rice, chopped chicken, sausage, shrimp [if using] tomatoes, soup, sour cream, olives, cilantro and 1 cup cheese.Mix well.
- Next, add the frozen peas and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust the salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Pour into the baking dish, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes longer until bubbly and the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with pesto if desired.
Paella is often served with a parsley or cilantro pesto that includes toasted almonds or pine nuts. For a shortcut you can garnish with toasted almonds instead. The crunchy nutty flavor really compliments the spicy flavors in this dish.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 527kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 1076mg | Potassium: 397mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1137IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 368mg | Iron: 2mg