Chicken Wild Rice Casserole is a throwback dish to my childhood. Filled with wild rice and rotisserie chicken it's smothered with a super simple sauce just like my Mom used to make. It's topped with buttery Panko breadcrumbs reminiscent of a potluck casserole that seemed to always make an appearance at events. The filling isn't difficult to make, and the seasonings can always be adjusted to suit your personal taste. The crispy topping adds a really nice crunch and texture, too. Chicken and rice together are a classic combination and always go over nicely with family and friends
Rice In The South Makes this Chicken Wild Rice Casserole the Perfect Meal
In many parts of the South rice is an absolute staple. In the deep South, jambalaya and dirty rice grace the plates of many as well as in the low country of South Carolina where it was grown. A side of buttered rice might be served along with a suitable entrée as a side dish just as you would pasta or potatoes. This chicken and wild rice casserole is a natural progression of rice as an entrée. It's company worthy and can be prepared in advance then baked when you're ready for stress-free entertaining. While I don't often cook with canned soups, it works in this nostalgic casserole dish.
Other Rice Recipes to Add to the Menu
Recipes that include rice are budget friendly and can stretch grocery dollars into more servings. A few other rice dishes you may like to try:
- Fiesta Chicken and Rice made in a slow cooker
- Red Beans and Rice with a side of hot sauce for a kick
- One Pot Chicken and Rice from The Salty Marshmallow
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
- 2 6 oz packages chicken flavored wild rice [i.e. Uncle Bens]
- 1 medium onion diced
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms sliced
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of celery
- 1 15 oz can low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cup roughly chopped roasted chicken
- 3 tsp Mrs. Dash Original
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp Mrs Dash Original
- Prepare the rice per the package directions leaving slightly undercooked. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, saute the diced onion and portabella mushrooms in 4 Tbsp of butter. Add seasoned salt and black pepper. Saute until the onions and mushrooms are softened and beginning to brown, Add the minced garlic. Saute for 1 minute longer. Remove from the stovetop.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked onions and mushrooms, rice, chicken soup, celery soup, broth, mayonnaise, Parmesan and Mrs Dash, Mix well, then add chicken, pour evenly into the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together melted butter, Panko, Parmesan and Mrs Dash seasoning. Sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
b) Add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to your taste for a little kick.