This easy Party Snack Mix recipe is the kind of snack that everybody loves eating by the handful. It's filled with Chex cereal, pretzels, Bugles, crackers, Cheetos and peanuts all coated in a seasoned butter sauce. Roasting turns it into a handheld treasure snack fans love to devour.
Easy Party Snack Mix Recipe
Where did party snack mix originate? The cereal used in Party mix better known as Chex Mix, has been around since the 1930's. While there are several theories in culinary circles about the origin of this snack, party mix is most likely the result of a desire to market cereal for uses other than eating it in a bowl with milk. The original wheat Chex cereal introduced in the mid 1930's, had a texture more like shredded wheat. That recipe was changed in the early 1950's to a more crunchy texture like we're used to today. Subsequently, Rice Chex was introduced to the market and the recipe for Chex Mix was published on the box. So party mix has been around a very long time and enjoyed by generations of snack eaters.
How to Make the Best Party Snack Mix
- While Bugles aren't necessarily a classic ingredient in the original snack mix, it's a staple addition to our family's party mix. Bugles were always in my Grandma's kitchen waiting for us to enjoy when we visited and they hold a nostalgic place in my heart. I can't imagine making a batch without them.
- That said, you could substitute another cereal such as Cheerios for a portion of the Chex cereal or you could add butter, cheese or even caramel popcorn if you like sweet and salty flavors.
- You may substitute Fritos in the mix in place of Bugles.
- There's also flexibility to utilize different flavors of crackers. Cheez it crackers in party mix is classic, but you could add Italian flavored crackers or even sesame sticks for added flavor.
- Wasabi peas are a fun spicy addition as well as bite-sized crisp breads and bagel chips for crunch.
- If cashews or walnuts are your thing, use them in place of the peanuts in the same amount. If the word "party" is in the title you have full reign to turn this snack mix into something fun to eat.
Other Party Snacks to Add to the Menu
Handheld snacking is a must for the holidays, picnics, football parties and tailgating. You can even make this party mix and packaged it in cellophane bags tied with a pretty ribbon for gift giving. Other snack food recipe you may enjoy trying:
- Ranch Seasoned Oyster Crackers are perfection for topping a bowl of soup, salads or chili.
- White Chocolate Snack Mix during the holiday season is an absolute must make coating everything in melted white chocolate.
- Other delicious variations to try are Wasabi Snack Mix from Better Homes and Gardens and Italian Herb Snack Mix from The Chunky Chef.
- If you'd like to try a sweet recipe using cereal, see my No Bake S'mores Bars recipe here.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Party Snack Mix
- 3 cups square corn cereal i.e. Chex or Crispix
- 3 cups square wheat cereal
- 3 cus square rice cereal
- 3 cups Cheetos or similar
- 3 cups Bugles
- 2 cups small pretzel twists
- 2 cups small square cheese crackers
- 2 cups dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup butter
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dark chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoke paprika
- ¼ teaspoon gound cumin
- few dashed hot sauce (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Directly on the pan or in an x-large mixing bowl, mix together cereals, Cheetos, Bugles, pretzels and peanuts until evenly distributed. Spread evenly on an x-large baking pan or 2 large baking pans.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter with seasonings. Add hot sauce to your taste. Stir or whisk until seasonings have dissolved. Pour over party mix and gently stir.
- Place into the oven and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, stopping to stir every 15 minutes.
- Spread on parchment paper to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.