This scrumptious Pistachio Fluff a.k.a. Watergate Salad, is a vintage fruity dessert that you're sure to find yourself making over and over again. The simple preparation and pistachio flavor combined makes it impossible to resist.
What is Watergate Salad?
This yummy green pistachio fluff was all the rage in the 70's. It was the star of potluck gatherings nationwide. Partly because of it's whimsical name but, primarily because it's so darn delicious. I've heard it called by other names as well, and no matter what it's called it all spells delicious in my book.
The Great Debate Remains is Pistachio Fluff a Salad or a Dessert?
The origin of the whimsical name was continually a source of friendly debate. People were constantly asking; is it a salad or a vintage dessert? Regardless of the origin of the name, this fluffy green delight is more of a dessert than a salad. I might also add, that it’s good to the very last mint green spoonful. It's perfection for picnics, potlucks or when you need something sweet in a hurry. The only hard part is waiting for it to chill before indulging.
Other popular fluff recipes you may like to try:
- Cherry Pie Fluff
- Chocolate Drizzled Caramel Apple Fluff
- Hawaiian Pineapple Coconut Fluff
- Or, thisBlueberry Fluff recipe from Real Housemoms
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- ¾ cup chopped pecans, walnuts or pistachios toasted and divided
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1 3.4 oz box instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 ½ cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 8 oz container whipped topping, thawed plus additional for garnishing, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 6-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, using a large spatula, mix together pineapple and pistachio pudding mix. Stir until the pudding mix is completely dissolved.
- Stir in marshmallows, ½ cup chopped nuts and container of whipped topping. Gently fold by hand until fully combined.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream garnished with reserved ¼ cup nuts.