This recipe for Pork Tips Stroganoff with Mushrooms and Onion is a bit of a twist on beef stroganoff. In it, tender pork loin tips are sauteed with mushrooms and onion then smothered in a bacon cream sauce. Serve it over a generous helping of creamy mashed potatoes or pasta and it becomes a meal that's filled with homespun comfort.
Pork Tips Stroganoff with Mushrooms and Onion
I often find myself doing a lot of nostalgic cooking. By that I mean, I like to prepare comforting dishes that are similar to the kinds of recipes my Mom made for us when we were all kids. Dishes like fried chicken and gravy, smothered chicken or chicken fried steak just to name a few. I have two brothers, and being the middle child, it was imperative that I got to the table on time or, I might lose out. My Mom is a terrific Southern cook but, if asked she would describe herself as a "country cook." She too, makes the types of dishes that her Mother made and so on. It's the circle of life.
My family's taste may differ a bit from what we considered every day foods eaten during my childhood. That said, comfort food like this dish is always a happy sight to see on the dinner table.This decadent pork tip stroganoff would fall into the category of comfortable tummy filling food that always hits the spot. You may also like to try this Beef Stroganoff from RecipeTin Eats.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pork Tips Stroganoff with Mushrooms and Onions
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 ½ lbs pork loin tips bite size pieces
- 2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning Or your favorite
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 8 oz container sliced baby Portabella mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp butter divided
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp dry tarragon
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 8 oz container sour cream
- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour
- Prepared mashed potatoes Or 1 lb cooked fettuccine noodles
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped chives for garnishing
- In a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed skillet cook the bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel to drain then crumble. Remove all but 2 Tbsp drippings from the skillet.
- Add 1 Tbsp butter and the pork tips to the skillet. Sprinkle the steak seasoning and lemon pepper over the pork, stir to coat. Cook over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes or until browned on both sides and no pink remains. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
- Add 1 Tbsp butter, sliced mushrooms and onion to the skillet and season with garlic salt and black pepper. Cook until softened and beginning to brown about 3-5 minutes then add the minced garlic. Cook for 1 minute longer scraping any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken stock, tarragon, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and pork tips back to the skillet. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Mix the sour cream and flour together. Add to the skillet and stir until fully incorporated and the sauce is beginning to thicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes over medium, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Add ½ of the crumbled bacon. Stir well.
- Remove from the stovetop and serve immediately over mashed potatoes, buttered rice or cooked fettuccine garnished with crumbled bacon and chopped chives.