This Chili Rubbed Pork Loin Roast with Seasoned Vegetables is a one skillet meal that is simplicity at it’s finest. Packed with flavor, the pork loin is coated with a homemade rub, then placed into a cast iron skillet and charred on all sides. To complete the skillet the pork loin roast is place on a bed of onions and surrounded with vegetables. It’s roasted in the oven until tender and flavorful then it’s ready carve and serve. It’s a feast any day of the week.
We are bonefide pork fans at our house be it pork chops, pork tenderloin, pulled pork or ham. And, let us not forget bacon. Pork can sometimes intimidate cooks as there’s always the concern about it drying out. For fear of under cooking it for years, people over cooked pork which became part of the problem.
This recipe is versatile in the sense that you can add a larger amount of vegetables to the mix and you can even add others you enjoy. If you’re a bit spice shy no worries when mixing the ingredients for the rub, begin by adding the chili powder in smaller amounts and taste as you go. Likewise, if you love spice, add more to your taste. When making any roast, don’t miss the important step of allowing the pork loin to rest before carving to give the juices time to redistribute for optimum flavor.
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 (4-lb) Pork Loin Roast
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, plus additional for vegetables
- 2 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1½ tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 lb small red potatoes, halved
- 2 yellow squash, ½-inch slices
- 1 zucchini ½-inch slices
- 8 mini sweet peppers
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Rub pork loin roast with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the chili, brown sugar, seasoned salt, garlic powder. lemon pepper and paprika. Rub all over the roast. Reserve 1 tsp.
- Heat a couple of drizzles of olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet or similar oven safe skillet. Sear the pork roast on all sides over medium-high heat.
- After searing the roast, remove it to a platter, then arrange the onion slices on the bottom of the skillet to form a rack for the roast. Center the roast in the skillet on top of the onion fat side up.
- Arrange the vegetables all around the pork. Drizzle lightly with additional oil and season with the reserved rub.
- Roast for 50-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers an internal temperature of 140-145°F.
- Rest loosely tented with foil for 10 minutes then slice and serve with vegetables.
- Drizzle with the pan jus or serve with barbecue sauce, if desired.