Soft sponge-like pumpkin cake rolled with sweetened whipped cream cheese then embellished with toasted pecans and toffee bits can only be described as a seasonal sensation. The combination of flavors in this Pumpkin Roll With A Pecan Toffee Cream Cheese Swirl are classic and satisfying to all dessert fans.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pumpkin Roll With A Pecan Toffee Cream Cheese Swirl
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 1  oz cream cheese softened
- 4 Tbsp butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/3 cup toffee bits
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans or walnuts chopped
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spread the nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast for 6-8 minutes. Cool completely.
- Line a 17 1/2" x 12 1/2" x 1" jelly roll pan with wax paper. Butter then dust with flour or use floured baking spray
- Using an electric mixer in a medium-size mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, granulated sugar and vanilla until pale yellow and the eggs have expanded, around 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin puree to the eggs beating just until combined.
- Sift together the self-rising flour and pumpkin pie spice. Add to the mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bounce the pan on the counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cake is lightly golden and springs back when lightly touched in the center.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of powdered sugar on a thin clean kitchen towel.
- Turn the cake onto the towel and carefully remove the waxed paper.
- Roll-up into the towel starting with the longest edge sprinkling powdered sugar on the towel that touches the cake at each turn to prevent it from sticking.
- Tuck the ends of the towel under then carefully place on a baking sheet and into the fridge to cool completely.
- To make the filling: Beat the cream cheese, 4 Tbsp butter, powdered sugar and vanilla together until fluffy.
- Carefully unroll the cake and spread the filling evenly from end to end.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits and nuts. Re-roll, shaping as you go ending seam side down.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the filling to set.
- Cut thin slices from each end to trim, then cut into 1-inch slices using a sharp knife.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar, if desired.
Substitution for pumpkin pie pie spice 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground clove and 1/4 tsp ground ginger