This spectacular one layer Pumpkin Spice Butter Cake is an oven fresh seasonal dessert infused with puréed pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. It starts with simple pantry ingredients much like a classic pound cake. All purpose flour, sugar and eggs are combined with creamed butter and puréed pumpkin and then the luscious addition of sweetened condensed milk takes it to the moon. It’s baked in a springform pan to create one thick layer cake. I serve this confection cut into wedges and dripping with my Bourbon Praline Pecan Sauce topped with whipped cream. It’s not only delicious but, sure to make an impressive dessert statement this holiday season.
Seasonal desserts are so fun to make aren’t they? It seems like pumpkin spice takes over the world mid to late August. Everywhere you look there’s anything and everything pumpkin spice in cereals, breads, lattes, coffee creamer, doughnuts and beyond. It’s really not new though is it? It’s all about pumpkin and cinnamon, a touch of clove or allspice a dash of nutmeg and ground ginger thrown in for fun. This is the same spice combination that’s been used together with pumpkin during autumn for eons and once again, they shine in this cake.
I really enjoy pumpkin goodies both sweet and savory. Confections like a cream cheese filled pumpkin roll, pumpkin cheescake parfaits and pumpkin spice lush evoke the emotion that the holiday season has officially begun. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. This pumpkin butter cake is a spin-off of my uber popular sweetened condensed milk butter cake. It has a pound cake-like texture and the addition of pumpkin puree gives just the right amount of subtle flavor to turn it into a taste of fall.
See more pumpkin recipes in the MSSK Recipe Index here.
Pumpkin Spice Butter Cake
- 1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree i.e. Libby's
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk (Not evaporated milk)
- 1 recipeBourbon Pecan Praline Sauce
- 2 cups whipped ceam
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan or spray liberally with baking spray. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer cream together the butter, both sugars and vanilla extract. Beat for 2 minutes on medium-high speed stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl periodically until fluffy and light beige in color.
- Add the pumpkin beating until incorporated..
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sweetened condensed milk beginning and ending with flour.
- After all has been added beat for about 30-45 seconds.Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bounce gently to release trapped air.
- Place into the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes (1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs. Do not over bake. Check at 45 minutes and lay a piece of aluminum foil on top to prevent over browning, if needed.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove the outer ring. Cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- Serve drizzled with Bourbon Pecan Praline Sauce and whipped cream, if desired.
To prevent batter escaping from the springform pan, cover the bottom and 1-inch up the sides of the pan with aluminum foil.