This Canadian Bacon Hash Brown Quiche skips the pastry crust and is made using a shredded hash brown potato crust, instead. It makes a stellar entree for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
Canadian Bacon Hash Brown Quiche
If you've been with me very long you know I'm fond of quiche. I have many variations and flavor combinations that have become true fan favorites. My recipe for broccoli cheddar bacon quiche and easy sausage quiche come out beautifully every single time. This quiche, uses shredded hash browns to make a crisp potato crust turning this quiche into a meal itself.
Helpful Tips for Making Canadian Bacon Quiche
- Canadian bacon is a cut of bacon that includes the pork loin from the back of the pig and is sold as such in the US. It may also include a portion of the pork belly in the same cut. It's much leaner than commonly used side bacon that's made only from the pork belly. Back bacon is derived from the same cut used for pork chops. You can use diced ham or cooked and crumbled strips of bacon, if preferred.
- This quiche can be made in any type of similar size baking dish, even a square 9 x 9 inch pan, if preferred.
- Since the crust is made with shredded potatoes a cast iron or metal pan will result in the crispiest crust.
- You can use any type of cheese that you enjoy or have on hand for this quiche. Even pepper-jack which would give it a little kick.
- Once baked, it's helpful to let the quiche cool and set for 30 minutes or so before cutting. It doesn't have to be completely cooled just allow some stand time.
Other Quiche Recipes to Make
I have a bevy of quiche recipes to choose from for every occasion from a homestyle fiesta, to tea time with friends and a holiday brunch. Some other recipes you may enjoy.
- Chicken Enchilada Quiche
- Western Omelet Quiche
- Kentucky Hot Brown Quiche
- Crustless Mini Vegetable Quiche
- You may also like this Power Greens Egg Skillet from Kalyn's Kitchen
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Canadian Bacon Hash Brown Quiche
- 1 tablespoon salted butter melted
- 1 20 oz package refrigerated hash browns
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 6 oz package Canadian bacon chopped
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 4 medium green onions thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- chopped fresh Italian parsley for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Brush a deep dish 10-inch cast iron skillet or pie dish with cooking melted butter or spritz with cooking spray. (You can use any similar oven safe skillet)
- To make crust: In a mixing bowl, mix together hash browns, Parmesan and egg until combined. Press hash browns firmly onto bottom and up sides of prepared skillet. Bake until lightly golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool to warm.
- To assemble: Spread chopped Canadian bacon, green onion and 1 cup cheese on bottom of crust.
- In large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder and nutmeg until well combined. Pour egg mixture evenly over filling and crust. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. (You can use more than ½ cup cheese on top, if desired)
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until center has puffed up and eggs are set, about 30-40 minutes. Just until the center is set when gently shaken.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 30 minutes before cutting and serving warm, garnished with parsley.