Italian Sausage Spinach And Havarti Crescent Braid – This type of savory crescent braid is one of those “special” meals I like to make for breakfast, brunch or serve with a simple salad for a low stress entree later in the day. The Italian sausage spinach filling can even be made in advance to allow you to assemble it more quickly when you’re in a hurry. I am a firm believer that a little pre-planning can save a busy weekday and make it less likely that you’ll be tempted to eat out or hit the drive thru on the way home.
I chose Havarti cheese because of it’s creamy slightly nutty flavor that pairs beautifully with the spinach and sausage. Gruyere would be another great choice as well as fontina if you have some on hand. When cutting the strips into the crescent rolls on either side of the filling for the braid, stop within 1/4-inch of the filling to keep the filling nestled snuggly inside of the dough.
After baking the braid until crispy and golden, allow the it to rest on the pan for 5 minutes before cutting into slices to enjoy. No one will believe how something so easy can be so pretty and delicious, too!
Italian Sausage Spinach And Havarti Crescent Braid
- 1 8 oz can crescent seamless dough sheet
- 3/4 lb spicy or mild ground Italian sausage
- 5 green onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp plus 1/4 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- Garlic salt and black pepper
- 1 6 oz package baby spinach leaves
- 8 oz cream Havarti cheese shredded
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook the sausage and chopped onion together until no pin remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Add 1/2 tsp dry Italian seasoning and baby spinach to the pan, Cook stirring until the spinach has wilted. Season to your taste with garlic salt and black pepper. Continue to cook for a couple of minutes until the juice released from the spinach has dried. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Press the crescent dough into a 12 x 16-inch rectangle. Sprinkle 1/2 of the shredded cheese down the center of the dough.
- Spoon the Italian sausage and spinach mixture over the cheese, then cover with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Make 1-inch cuts on each side of the filling at an angle starting at the edge of the dough. Fold the slices over each other.
- Brush the top and sides with melted butter then sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and dry Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden. Rest for 5 minutes on the pan then slice and serve.