These copycat Shamrock Shakes are so fun to make. The vibrant color of green and the whipped cream on top is the perfect setting for the proverbial cherry to finish it off.
Easy Copycat McDonald's Shamrock Shakes Recipe
When Spring rolls around we know that St Patrick's Day is on the horizon. It's such a fun holiday to celebrate and there are many Irish inspired sweet and savory recipes to make. McDonald's shamrock shake is a fan favorite and so very simple to make at home, I had to add it to our celebration desserts. You can whip-up a batch using a stand blender when the family is in the mood for a fun milkshake treat.
How to Make the Best Shamrock Shakes Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Shamrock Shakes: Vanilla ice cream, whole milk or whipping cream, peppermint extract, green food coloring (liquid or gel) maraschino cherries and whipped cream or whipped topping (i.e. Cool Whip or similar).
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A stand blender, measuring cups and spoons, 8 ounce glasses and straws.
- You can use as much or as little food coloring that you like to change the intensity of the green color. Have fun with this recipe, it's a milkshake and not meant to be fussy!
- Please note: Peppermint extract has a very intense flavor. A little goes a long way. If preferred you can start with ½ teaspoon and add more to your personal taste.
- How do you make your own whipped cream? Place a large bowl and mixer beaters into the freezer for 15 minutes. To one pint of heavy cream, add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and with the mixer running, gradually add ¼-1/3 cup granulated sugar. Whip until stiff peaks form, don't overbeat. Chill until serving.
- Fresh whipped cream should be used the day it's made as it isn't as stable as whipped toppings like Cool Whip. You can substitute Cool Whip or your favorite brand of whipped topping, if desired.
- The amounts in this recipe can easily be adapted making more or less depending on how many servings you need or how big you want your milkshake to be.
- Shamrock Shakes are best made and served immediately. Should you have leftovers, you can freeze it for another day.
- After freezing, place back into the blender and whip with milk or cream until your desired consistency is reached.
More St Patrick's Day Dessert Recipes to Make
- These Marshmallow Pops for St Patrick's Day are like edible art.
- This two tone Chocolate Mint Fudge will melt in your mouth.
- Mint Chocolate Cookie Bark is so simple to make the kids can help.
- Dark Chocolate Mint Brownie Cookies are fudgy and rich.
- My Chocolate Fudge Grasshopper Trifle is a statement dessert.
- This collection of St Patrick's Day Desserts has a little something for everyone.
- Chocolate Pudding Cakes made with Guinness stout from What a Girl Eats.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 cups premium vanilla or french vanilla ice cream
- 1 ½ cups milk or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- few drops green food coloring
- whipped cream, maraschino cherries and sprinkles for garnishing
- Place ice cream, milk or whipping cream, peppermint extract and a few drops of food coloring in a stand blender.
- Cover and blend until smooth. Adjust the color adding additional green food coloring, if desired.
- Adjust thickness adding more ice cream to make it thicker or more cream or milk to thin.
- Serve immediately garnished with whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 401mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 704IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 282mg | Iron: 0.1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
Leave a Reply