Skillet Zucchini Bacon Cornbread – This cornbread has fresh shredded zucchini and smoky bacon in it. It’s a creation I came up with to use a plethora of fresh garden zucchini. When zucchini comes in season in such abundance, there is almost no end to the dishes you can create with this vegetable.
I’ve been wanting to develop a cornbread using fresh zucchini, and this Summer with so much on my hands, it gave me the perfect opportunity to do so. For a little smokiness I decided to add bacon to the cornbread, and bake it in my trusty and much loved, Lodge Cast Iron skillet to give it that crispy crunch that only cast iron can give. You could serve this with any meal but, it’s especially good alongside a bowl of beans, chili, soup or chowder.
Skillet Zucchini Bacon Cornbread
- 2 Tbsp vegetable shortening for the skillet
- 2 cups shredded fresh zucchini
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- dry ingredients:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup plain white cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- wet ingredients
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Dollop 2 tablespoons of shortening into a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place into the oven to melt while the oven preheats
- Shred the zucchini removing any seeds. Ring in a kitchen towel or paper towels until all of the excess moisture has been removed, then set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook and crumble the bacon and remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings from the pan. Add the shredded zucchini to the pan and saute over medium high heat for 2 minutes to slightly cook before adding to the batter. This will also remove any residual moisture. Set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients until combined. I usually use a whisk for this step and it works perfectly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until fully combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the shredded zucchini, crumbled bacon and 1 1/2 cups of shredded sharp white cheddar cheese. Mix just until combined.
- Coat the sides of the skillet with the melted shortening.
- Spread the batter into the hot iron skillet and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve hot.
If you'd like to add a little heat, substitute pepper-jack cheese in place of the sharp white cheddar cheese.