Slow Cooked Asian Meatballs With An Orange Chili Sauce
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lb fresh ground pork
- 1 lb 85/15 ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup each chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 10 oz bottle Asian sweet chili sauce
- 6 oz orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch, plus additional, as needed to thicken
- In a medium size mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, then add the ground beef, pork. green onion, panko, cilantro, soy sauce, orange juice, lime juice, zest salt, five spice, garlic and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Form into bite sized balls 42 meatballs depending on how large you roll them.
- In a stove top pan fry the meatballs in batches over medium high heat in a drizzle of vegetable oil. Turn as needed cooking for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel covered platter to drain. May use immediately or cooled and frozen for later use.
- To slow cook: Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray, then arrange the meatballs in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together chili sauce, marmalade, vinegar, soy sauce and five spice until fully combined. Pour over the meatballs.
- Cover and cook on the low setting for 2 hours. If frozen, 2-3 hours.
- At the end of cooking check the sauce for thickness. To thicken, increase the temperature of the slow cooker to the high setting and thicken using 1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp cold water. Stir gently. Repeat, if needed.
- Serve over a bed of fluffy Basmati or Jasmine rice with a sprinkle of chopped green onion.
To bake the meatballs: Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange the meatballs on the pan. Place into the oven and bake at 375°F for 20 minutes. Increase the temperature to 425°F and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until browned. Add to the slow cooker or freeze for later use.