These Slow Cooked Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes With Ham are a spectacular way to incorporate smoked ham into a hearty potato dish. It can double as a side dish or can be served as a main dish casserole. Layers of golden potatoes, lots of shredded cheese smothered with a velvety sauce turns these simple scalloped potatoes into a slow cooked wonder. The sauce is so decadent, no one will ever believe you whipped it up in your blender.
Potatoes have always been a huge part of our meals. Both of my Granpa’s and my Dad grew them. So, potatoes came straight from the garden to the table with any excess from a crop stored in the root cellar to eat during the cold winter months. As a girl, I thought that routine was normal, and only now appreciate the garden goodness that we enjoyed on a regular basis. These scalloped potatoes are so very simple to make in your crockpot freeing the oven on busy holidays and when entertaining. They can be served straight from the slow cooker or scooped onto a platter, if you wish. When serving a crowd or planning a buffet, I recommend scooping them straight from the crockpot for easy service.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes With Ham
- 3 lb Yukon gold potatoes sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 lb smoked ham cubed
- 1 small sweet onion finely diced
- 2 cup shredded sharp white or yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 oz onion and chive cream cheese softened
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Liberally spray the bottom and sides of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Cube the ham, dice the onion and mix together the 2 types of cheese.
- To prepare the sauce, pour the chicken broth, half and half, softened cream cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, melted butter, garlic salt, black pepper and ground mustard into a stand blender. Process until smooth and fully combined.
- Separate all ingredients into thirds. Begin layering 1/3 of the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/3 diced onion and 1/3 of the cubed ham. Drizzle with 1/3 of the sauce and 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat ending with sauce and cheese.
- Cover the opening of the slow cooker with doubled paper towels then place the lid firmly on top.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8. Remove the crock from the slow cooker, sprinkle with chopped chives and rest for 10 minutes before serving.