This Slow Cooked Fiesta Chicken And Rice is as delicious as the colors are vibrant. It’s truly a feast for the senses. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are rubbed with a blend of spices then nestled into a creamy rice mixture and slow cooked until the rice and chicken are tender. Topped with plenty of gooey cheese and chopped chives or green onion for even more color then serve with your favorite taco toppings for a homemade fiesta any night of the week.
If your family is like mine, we have to have at least one Mexican or Southwestern inspired dish every week. Truth be told, we often enjoy these flavors in some form more often. Dishes like tacos, enchiladas, pico de gallo, taco salads and queso dips are fun food to make and eat. Then there’s guacamole which we love so much we vote it should have it’s own food group. This festive chicken and rice dish is one you might not think there’s time to prepare on a busy day but, it‘s designed for just that. Everything goes into the slow cooker and the rest is history. Top it with sour cream, olives, pico de gallo, salad or guacamole and it becomes a one pot meal.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Fiesta Chicken & Rice
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin divided
- 2 tsp chili powder divided
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 medium red bell pepper poblano pepper & onion diced
- olive oil
- 4 Tbsp butter or light butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 [10 oz] package of saffron rice [I used Mahatma]
- 1 [14 oz] can chicken broth
- 1 [10 oz] can cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup cooked black beans rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- chopped chives or green onions for garnishing
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, one teaspoon each of cumin, garlic salt and chili powder to form a paste. Rub this over the chicken breasts, then set aside.
- On the stove top, saute the diced peppers and onions in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil until they are beginning to brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste then add the butter.
- Add the chicken stock, to deglaze the pan, then stir in 1 teaspoon each of cumin, minced garlic, chili powder and oregano. Simmer just until the spices have dissolved into the stock.
- Mix in the rice, soup, salsa, cilantro, black beans, corn and chopped cilantro. Pour into the slow cooker. Arrange the boneless chicken breasts on top of the rice mixture.
- Cook on low for 4 1/2-5 hours. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, remove the lid and sprinkle shredded cheese on top then replace the lid.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or guacamole on the side and garnish with chopped chives or green onions before serving.
It's a good idea to stir this at least once midway through cooking, if possible. I usually remove the chicken breasts, give the rice a good stir, and then replace the chicken. This will prevent the rice from getting too brown around the edges.