This Slow Cooked Fiesta Chicken and Rice is as delicious as the colors are vibrant. It's truly a feast for the senses. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are rubbed with a blend of spices then nestled into a creamy rice mixture and slow cooked until the rice and chicken are tender. Topped with plenty of gooey cheese and chopped chives or green onion for even more color then serve with your favorite taco toppings for a homemade fiesta any night of the week.
Fiesta Chicken and Rice is Slow Cooked Mexican Food for Dinner
If your family is like mine, we have to have at least one Mexican or Southwestern inspired dish every week. Truth be told, we often enjoy these flavors in some form more often. Dishes like tacos, enchiladas, pico de gallo, taco salads and queso dips are fun food to make and eat. Then there's guacamole which we love so much we vote it should have its own food group.
Slow Cooked Fiesta Chicken and Rice
This festive chicken and rice dish is one you might not think there's time to prepare on a busy day but, it's designed for just that. Everything goes into the slow cooker and the rest is history. Top it with sour cream, olives, pico de gallo, salad or guacamole and it becomes a one pot meal. Other dishes you may like to try 10 Dishes To Rock Your Cinco de Mayo Celebration, a classic side dish made on the stovetop Mexican Rice and Slow Cooker Street Tacos.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Fiesta Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus additional as needed
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin divided
- 2 teaspoon chili powder divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 medium red bell pepper poblano pepper & onion diced
- 4 tablespoon butter or light butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 10 oz package of saffron rice [I used Mahatma]
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1 10 oz can cream of celery soup
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup cooked black beans rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- chopped chives or green onions for garnishing
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together, lime juice, olive oil, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder and garlic salt to form a paste. Rub on all sides of chicken, set aside.
- On the stove top, saute the diced peppers and onions in a couple of drizzles of olive oil until beginning to brown. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Add butter and minced garlic. Simmer for 1 minute.
- To the pan add the chicken stock, scraping any brown bits from pan. Stir in remaining cumin, chili powder plus 1 teaspoon oregano. Stir well.
- Add rice, soup, salsa, cilantro, black beans, corn and chopped cilantro. Mix thoroughly then pour into slow cooker. Arrange chicken breasts on top..
- Cook on low for 4 ½-5 hours. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, remove the lid and sprinkle shredded cheese on top then replace the lid. Keep warm just until cheese has melted.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or guacamole on the side and garnish with chopped chives or green onions before serving.
Question. I had bariatric surgery and have to minimize use of rice what would you suggest to replace it. I use cauliflower rice for fried rice
I love cauliflower rice, too. I've never made this slow cooker chicken with it, though. If you try it let me know how it works.
I used Vigo Saffron rice. I cooked it on high for an hour. Then on low for 3 hours. The rice was still not cooked. So I added 2 cups of water and cooked it an additional 3 hours on low and my rice is still not cooked. I've never good saffron rice it suppose to have a crunch to it? I can't understand why it's not soft by now. Thanks!
Hi Trisha, the rice should have had ample time to cook in that time. However, if you're using an older crock pot they don't get as hot as the newer models and that could effect how the rice performs cooking time.
Can you use canned black beans?
Sure, just make sure they're rinsed well.
Made this tonight!!! OMG it was to die for!! I think I will shred the chicken and mix it in for burritos tomorrow night.
So happy you loved this one and what a great idea! Thank you.
Just put this in the crockpot and it smells delicious already! Will let you know how it comes out.
Wonderful, we love this one sure hope you do too!
Do you cook the rice first?
No need to precook the rice.
Hi Amanda, I have always prepared this recipe as written, however, I think you could sub the rice. Use a long grain rice and use approximately 1 1/2 cup uncooked rice. You can add turmeric or ground saffron if you have either to achieve the rich yellow color, if desired. Then adjust the salt to your liking. Hope this helps.
Amanda from Faith, Food and Family
This looks so good! I have high blood pressure, so I try not to use any packaged rice mixes due to the sodium. Would plain rice be okay? If so, how much should be used? Thanks!
I will. Can't wait to make this!
Thanks for clarifying.
Yes, red bell pepper. I added that to the recipe to clarify. Enjoy!
"Red pepper" - do you mean red bell pepper? Just wanted to double-check.
Hi Ashley, enjoy!
Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes
Trying this over the weekend!
It's a cold snowy day going to make this for supper, sounds yummy
My pleasure, enjoy! ☺
I have this in the crock pot right now! Thank you for sharing.
Hi Ann, that's right, the rice cooks in the slow cooker, it goes in raw. Enjoy! ☺
This looks heavenly. Just to confirm... you don't keep cooking the veggie, stock, rice mixture until the rice is cooked correct? It goes in raw?
Sounds fabulous! Trying this for Friday meal:)