This post brought to you by Hurst’s HamBeens Brand ~ If you’re thinking tummy filling food that won’t break the bank then this Slow Cooked Ham and 15 Bean Soup hits the spot. Hurst’s® HamBeens® 15 Bean Soup® is simmered with fresh vegetables and smoky ham then slow cooked until the flavors marry and the beans are tender. Serve ladled over a piece of buttered corn bread and it’s sheer comfort with each and every bite.
Guaranteed to warm you up on a cold day this hearty soup is both inexpensive and filling. Hurst’s HamBeens Brand has a long family history and each generation remains committed to providing quality and affordable meal options for families. This soup is a terrific way to re-invent holiday leftovers and Hurst has made it simple by including the seasoning packet with the beans. If you have a ham bone leftover from your holiday ham, add it at the beginning with the dry beans and it will season the broth perfectly. It adds a richness to the flavor of this 15 bean soup that sends it over-the-top. I have several cornbread recipes that would work great with this soup, too. Perhaps your preference is a slightly sweet Skillet Honey Cornbread or my Green Chile Cheddar Cornbread slathered with plenty of sweet cream butter, of course.
This soup would be an amazing way to change-up your New Years Day meal. Perhaps pairing it with a with a side of collard greens a long-held tradition in the South. Make preparation easy and look for Hurst’s® HamBeens® 15 Bean Soup® in the dry bean section of grocery stores all across the country. You’ll be so glad you did.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hurst Beans. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for being supportive and allowing me to share brands with you that I enjoy.
Slow Cooked Ham and 15 Bean Soup
- 1 pkg Hurst’s® HamBeens® 15 Bean Soup®
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 rib celery thinly sliced
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp lemon pepper
- 2 cups leftover ham diced
- 1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Sliced green onion and Cornbread for serving
- Rinse beans thoroughly. Sort and inspect for any unwanted debris and discard. Set seasoning packet aside.
- Pour beans into the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, chicken stock, butter and bay leaves. Mix well.
- Cook on high for 4 hours then add the seasoning packet, lemon pepper, ham and tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Continue to cook for an additional 1-2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Serve with a slice of corn bread or serve over rice garnished with green onion..
May use ham bone for extra seasoning, if desired. Add at the beginning with the beans.
Please keep in mind that every time the lid is opened, your cooking time will be longer.