This Creamy Tomato Cheese Tortellini Soup makes a hearty and tasty busy day meal. The creamy tomato sauce provides the perfect base for cooking cheese tortellini until soft and tender in minutes. Add a salad and warm garlic bread to finish a meal that's guaranteed to warm you up from the inside out.
Creamy Tomato Cheese Tortellini Soup is Packed with Flavor
Quality canned tomatoes are readily available year-round making them my go-to for this recipe. Using tomatoes that have been seasoned with basil, garlic and oregano is not only convenient but, it adds flavor to the finished soup. During warm weather, this recipe can easily be adapted using tomato sauce made from fresh tomatoes . It's especially nice when you're looking for ways to use fresh tomatoes that tend to come in with a vengeance.
- Should you choose to go that route, keep in mind you'll also need to adjust the amount of seasonings to compensate for the ones included in the canned tomatoes.
- My preference is to use petite diced tomatoes in this tortellini soup and I don't feel the need to puree them further.
- That said, if you want the base to be completely smooth consider using an immersion blender to puree the tomatoes prior to adding the tortellini to the pot. For our taste, the smalls bits of tomatoes add a pleasing texture to the soup base.
Frozen, Fresh and Dry Cheese Tortellini
It's not unusual, when I'm out and about doing my shopping, that I feel inspired to make something and pick up the ingredients to have them ready to go. Far too often my plans get interrupted. For that reason, I typically buy frozen tortellini and tuck them away in the freezer so I don't feel compelled to use them immediately.
- In this dish, you can use frozen tortellini straight from the freezer without issue. They will take a bit longer to cook than refrigerated tortellini. When simmered in this soup, frozen tortellini will be done in 5-7 minutes.
- Refrigerated cheese tortellini will take 3-5 minutes to cook.
- Dry tortellini will take the longest and will need to cook for around 10-12 minutes.
- Also note, the tortellini thickens the soup so, have extra half and half or tomato juice on hand to thin to your taste at the end of cooking.
Other Tortellini Recipes You May Enjoy
My family loves pasta in any form so needless to say, tortellini brings them running to the table. One Pot Italian Chicken Tortellini from Diethood is another option using tortellini for quick and easy meals.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Tomato Cheese Tortellini Soup
- 4 Tbsp finely diced sweet onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp freshly grated black pepper
- 4 cups tomato juice plus additional for thinning, if needed
- 2 14.5 oz cans petite diced basil, garlic oregano tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 19 oz package frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
- ½ cup cream or half & half
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, cook the onion in olive oil over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato juice, sugar, Italian seasoning and garlic. Mix well. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add frozen tortellini, mix well. Cook over medium-high for 5-7 minutes until tortellini are cooked through and soup has thickened.
- Add fresh basil, Parmesan and cream. Mix well. Thin using additional cream or tomato juice at the end of cooking to your taste.
- Serve immediately with additional grated Parmesan on top, if desired.