Easy Slow Cooked Pulled Pork Barbecue Recipe
Southern Side Dishes to Serve with Pork Barbecue
The sky’s the limit when it comes to the side dishes to serve with barbecue. I wanted to give you a little inspiration with these recipes:
- Homemade classic French Fries or Sweet Potato Fries are both options.
- Southern Style Cole Slaw is the perfect topping.
- Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese is a crowd pleaser.
- Sweet Grilled Corn on the Cob or Oven Roasted Corn Cob.
- Crisp Green Bean Salad is marinated in a delicious vinaigrette.
- Southern Potato Salad is perfection.
Slow Cooked Pulled Pork Barbecue
Servings: 16 servings
- 1 6 lb pork butt
- 1/3 cup prepared BBQ rub i.e. Barbecue Magic your favorite (See Cook's note for homemade rub recipe)
- 1 12 oz bottle Dr Pepper
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke hickory or mesquite
- 3 cups Dr Pepper barbecue sauce divided
- Rub pork butt generously with your choice of dry rub seasoning on all sides. Or, homemade in Cook's note. Wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- To prepare: Spray the crock of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Mix Dr Pepper with the liquid smoke. Pour into slow cooker. Center the pork shoulder in the cooking liquid.
- Cook on the low for 8-10 hours until fork tender.
- Remove pork to a platter. Discard the cooking juices.
- Shred pork using 2 forks, removing any visible fat. Return pulled pork back to the slow cooker. Increase the temperature to high.
- Pour 2 cups barbecue sauce over pork. Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes just until sauce has simmered into pork.
- Serve on kaiser rolls or buns with cole slaw and extra sauce on the side.
If you'd like to take a shortcut for the sauce, I recommend using a bottled barbecue sauce with a chipotle flavor to reflect the flavors in the dry rub such as Sweet Baby Rays. Homemade rub:
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 2 tsp lemon pepper
- 2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 628mg | Potassium: 158mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 2mg