Slow Cooked Southern Style Chili with Beans
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Southern Style Chili With Beans
Servings: 12 servings
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 medium poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper diced
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon each salt and black pepper adjust to taste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 15 oz cans light red kidney beans or pinto beans (don't drain)
- 2 14.4 oz cans chili style tomatoes
- 1 10 ¾ oz can beef broth
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste divided use
- ¼ cup dark chili powder adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon each cumin
- 2 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped cilantro divided use
- In a large skillet cook together beef, peppers and onion on medium high heat with vegetable oil until no pink remains in beef. Add garlic, cook one minute longer. Drain excess fat from pan. Taste adding salt and pepper to your taste. (start with 1 teaspoon each)
- Spray the crock of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Pour cooked beef into slow cooker. To the slow cooker add beans, tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce, ½ tomato paste and seasonings. (Reserve ½ tomato paste and ½ cilantro for the end of cooking.)
- Stir well, place the lid firmly on top. Cook on the low setting for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- At the end of cooking, stir in the remaining tomato paste and chopped cilantro. Mix until tomato paste is completely incorporated.
- Simmer on high uncovered for 10 minutes or just until your desired consistency is reached.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings. Suggested toppings: Sour cream, black olive slices, chopped scallions, shredded cheese, tortilla chips
At the end of cooking if thickness is to your liking, no added tomato paste is necessary. Adjust thickness to your taste.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 258kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 250mg | Potassium: 605mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 330IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 3mg