Slow Cooked Southern Style Chili With Beans
Servings: 4 Quarts
- 1 medium sweet onion red bell pepper and poblano pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper diced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro divided
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 [15 oz] cans light red kidney beans or pinto beans
- 2 [14.5 oz] cans chili style tomatoes
- 1 [10 3/4 oz] can beef broth
- 1 [6 oz] can tomato paste divided
- 3 Tbsp dark chili powder [or more to taste]
- 2 Tbsp each cumin oregano, cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Chop the peppers and onion and saute in a stove top pan in 1/4-1/3 cup of vegetable oil just until translucent.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan, then add the lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 of the cilantro and all of the seasonings. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your taste.
- Mix the browned beef together with the canned tomatoes, broth, 1/2 of the tomato paste and all of the pinto beans.
- Pour everything carefully into a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cook on the low setting for 6-8 hours.
- Test the chili at 6 hours, the beans should be tender.
- Stir in the remaining chopped cilantro and adjust the thickness to your taste.
- To thicken the chili increase the temperature to the high setting and mix in the remaining tomato paste. Stir until the tomato paste is evenly distributed.
- Simmer just until your desired consistency is reached. Serve hot.
- Suggested toppings: Sour cream, black olive slices, chopped scallions, shredded cheese, tortilla chips
Cocoa is my secret ingredient. It adds a richness to the sauce that's s not identifiable. Cocoa is used in mole sauces as well, and it's a staple flavor in my chili.
Hi, thanks for stopping by to visit my website My name is Melissa, I’m a busy Mom, author, recipe developer, photographer, food writer and blogger. I’m passionate about creating delicious dishes to share with family and friends!