Slow Cooked Triple Cheddar Mac And Cheese – When it comes to slow cooking macaroni and cheese, there are literally 1000’s of recipes. They’re all so similar, I couldn’t begin to discuss every single method. So, I would like to show you how I make mine…yes? I usually turn to slow cooked mac & cheese on a busy day in my kitchen, when I need my oven to prepare other dishes.
Why do I mention this? Funny you should ask…I make a special effort to make sure all of my recipes are presented in a way that you can be successful recreating my dishes. In this slow cooker with the heat source on the bottom only, my mac & cheese cooks in around 2-2 1/4 hours on low. So, in a conventional slow cooker, I recommend you cook on low for 2 hours, and check the center for doneness. It may be completely cooked in that time. After testing a tiny bit from the center sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and keep warm until it melts. If not completely cooked, you may need to increase the time by 30 minutes to 1 hour, based on how your slow cooker cooks…Now, that said, let’s move on to the good stuff…
See it at “Whatcha Crockin’? here
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1 can [12 oz] evaporated milk
- 1 can [10¾ oz] cheddar cheese soup
- 8 oz sour cream (Full fat works best)
- ½ cup [1 stick] butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ¼-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (To your taste]
- ½ tsp salt
- 3½ cups of triple cheddar cheese, divided [I used Kraft Triple Cheddar]
- Set your slow cooker on the low setting, and spray the inside with cooking spray.
- Parboil the macaroni in salted water for 6 minutes.
- While the macaroni is cooking, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together, the melted butter, evaporated milk, cheddar cheese soup, sour cream, eggs and seasonings. Whisk until fully combined.
- After cooking the macaroni for 6 minutes, drain well. Add to the slow cooker
- Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni along with 3 cups of shredded triple cheddar cheese.
- Stir all of the ingredients together until the macaroni is coated and the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the lid and check the middle for doneness. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Replace the lid and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Keep warm until serving.