This exquisite Green Chile Queso Potatoes is smothered in a gooey green chile queso cheese sauce. The rich sauce makes them extra dreamy. They are crazy good and can be served for a special brunch, with grilled chicken or steak, or alongside your favorite South-of-the-border inspired burger or meatloaf.
Green Chile Queso Potatoes Make A Festive Side Dish
I first made these cheesy potatoes in hopes I could come up with an alternative to a standard potato casserole to serve at a brunch I had been invited to. It was a covered dish get-together and I really didn’t want to disappoint with a humdrum dish. I wanted to share something special with my friends. These green chile queso potatoes turned out so very good I wanted to add them to the archives here on MSSK, too. Since then, I’ve made them adding chorizo sausage crumbles, cooked ground beef and leftover chicken turning these creamy potatoes into a kicked-up one dish meal.
Can You Use Fresh Potatoes Instead Of Hash Browns?
The purpose of using hash browns in this dish is to make prep a cinch and it works like a charm. If you prefer to use fresh potatoes in the same amount, you can. You’ll need to parboil them ever so slightly before mixing with the sauce. If you’re looking for other potato dishes to try you may enjoy my Loaded Scalloped Potatoes or this Easy Hash Brown Casserole from Crazy For Crust.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- Enamel Coated Cast Iron Casserole
- Rotary Cheese Grater
- Stainless Mixing Bowls with Non Slip Base
- Measuring Set
Green Chile Queso Potatoes
- 1 32 oz frozen cubed Hash Brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 1/2 cup whole milk or half & half
- 1 lb deli White American Cheese cubed
- 4 oz onion & chive cream cheese softened
- 1 4 oz can fire roasted green chiles
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack
- 1 Tbsp butter cubed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-inch round or oblong baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt together the half & half and cubed white American cheese. Cook over medium heat until the cheese is completely melted then add the cream cheese. Continue to cook stirring until fully combined. Add the fire roasted green chiles, garlic salt and onion powder. Mix well then remove from the heat.
- Mix the thawed hash browns with the sauce.
- Pour into the baking dish. Top with the remaining shredded cheese. Dot the top with cubed butter.
- Bake 45 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender and the top is golden. .
- Rest for 10 minutes then serve.