Green Chile Queso Potatoes – This exquisite potato casserole is covered in a gooey green chile queso cheese sauce. The rich sauce makes them extra dreamy. They are crazy good and can be served for a special brunch, with grilled chicken or steak, or alongside your favorite South-of-the-border inspired burger or meatloaf.
I first made these potatoes in hopes I could come up with an alternative to a standard potato casserole to serve at a brunch I had been invited to. It was a covered dish get-together and I really didn’t want to disappoint with a humdrum dish I wanted to share something special with my friends. These green chile queso potatoes turned out so very good I wanted to add them to the archives on my blog, too. I have since made them adding chorizo sausage crumbles, cooked ground beef and leftover chicken turning these creamy potatoes into a kicked-up one dish meal.
- 1 (32 oz) frozen cubed Hash Brown potatoes, thawed
- 2½ cup whole milk or half & half
- 1 lb deli White American Cheese, cubed
- 4 oz onion & chive cream cheese, softened
- 1 (4 oz) can fire roasted green chiles
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack
- 1 Tbsp butter, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-inch round or oblong baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt together the half & half and cubed white American cheese. Cook over medium heat until the cheese is completely melted then add the cream cheese. Continue to cook stirring until fully combined. Add the fire roasted green chiles, garlic salt and onion powder. Mix well then remove from the heat.
- Mix the thawed hash browns with the sauce.
- Pour into the baking dish. Top with the remaining shredded cheese. Dot the top with cubed butter.
- Bake 45 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender and the top is golden. .
- Rest for 10 minutes then serve.