Twice Baked Smashed Potatoes
- 8 medium-large russet potatoes
- 4 oz whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup [1 stick] butter softened [plus add'l for the top]
- 1 cup prepared buttermilk dressing
- 8 oz sour cream
- 10 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped chives or green onions chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Clean the potatoes removing any blemishes. Wrap in aluminum foil. Pierce the potatoes a couple of times with a fork, then place them onto a baking sheet and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours, until fork tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, unwrap and allow them to cool enough to handle.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Place the potatoes into a mixing bowl, skins intact. [see cook's note if you would like to remove the skins] Mash with a potato masher leaving the potatoes chunky.
- Add the cream cheese and mix through gently until it's completely melted. Next, add 1 stick [1/2 cup] of softened butter.
- Add the buttermilk dressing, sour cream, bacon, chives, shredded cheese and seasonings. Reserve 3/4 cup of shredded cheese, 2 Tbsp bacon crumbles and 1 Tbsp chopped chives for the top. Mix well.
- Pour the potatoes into a buttered 8 x 12 inch baking dish. [tip: or 6-8 [4 oz] individual ramekins.] Dot the top with butter before baking.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and chives. Serve hot.
A) If preparing in advance bring to room temperature before baking then increase the baking time by 5-10 minutes.
B) If you prefer the potatoes without the skin, peel, rub with oil, wrap in foil then bake as directed.