This gooey baked Southern Style Macaroni and Cheese is rich and decadent with a creamy no cook sauce. Serve it on buys days or when entertaining for a memorable side dish.
Baked Southern Style Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
When it comes to macaroni and cheese, there more far more variations than there are Southern states. I would describe this macaroni and cheese as my quick and easy, homestyle macaroni and cheese. This version is specifically designed for those days, you don’t have the time to make the cheese sauce from scratch. It’s not fussy but the end result is irresistible. Unlike my 5 Cheese Holiday Macaroni and Cheese, where the cheese sauce is turned from a bechamel sauce into a gloriously rich five cheese sensation, the sauce for this dish is whipped up using my stand blender. Pour the no-cook cheese sauce over layers of cooked classic elbow macaroni and top it all off with a blend of sharp cheddar cheese. How to make simple Macaroni and Cheese recipe:
- Pasta – Dry elbow macaroni.
- Cheese – Shredded sharp cheddar cheese and shredded medium cheddar cheese.
- Liquid – Whole milk.
- No Cook Filling – Cheddar cheese soup, soft easy melting cheese [i.e. Velveeta or Cheez Whiz], cup sour cream, melted butter and large eggs.
- Seasonings – Ground mustard, salt and white pepper.
How To Make Southern Style Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and cheese is one of those dishes that are a “sure thing” when entertaining. It never ceases to amaze me how it continues to delight kids of every generation and kids of all ages gravitate to it no matter the occasion or what other dishes are being offered. A few things to consider when making:
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Macaroni and Cheese: Elbow macaroni, shredded medium cheddar cheese, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, milk, butter, ground mustard powder, salt, black pepper, cheez whiz, cheddar cheese soup, sour cream and large eggs.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A 13 x 9 inch baking dish, pasta cooker, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons, stand blender.
- The sauce for this mac and cheese is designed to be easy, hence the use of cheez whiz and cheddar cheese soup. It’s one of MANY ways to make it, and you’ll love the ease of preparation on a busy day.
- If you’re planning ahead, assemble this dish the night before and pop it into the refrigerator. When doing so, remove it from the fridge and allow it to warm for 15 minutes or so on the counter before baking for a time saver.
- Top it off with more cheese and a few dots of butter and bake it until it’s golden and bubbly.
- While I typically don’t add a crumb topping to this particular variation of macaroni and cheese, you could, if you wanted to. To do so, toss 1/2-1 cup of panko breadcrumbs with 1-2 Tbsp melted butter and sprinkle on top before baking. You may also like to use fresh breadcrumbs or even crushed cracker crumbs, if that’s what you have on hand.
- You could adapt the flavor of cheese, but I highly recommend making this recipe as directed. You won’t believe a cheese sauce this simple can be so insanely delicious.
- Store Southern Style Macaroni and Cheese chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Macaroni and Cheese Recipes to Make
Most macaroni and cheese recipes can be served as an entree or a side dish depending on the occasion. You can also use a variety of cheese or a blend of cheese’s that you particularly enjoy to amp up the flavor. A few examples of other macaroni and cheese recipes to try;
- Twisted Macaroni and Cheese uses twisted pasta for a fun take on this classic.
- Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Pie can be served as an entree or a side dish.
- The kids will love these Bacon Macaroni and Cheese Muffins.
- Crab Macaroni and Cheese will turn any occasion onto something special.
- Easy Air Fryer Macaroni and Cheese.
- Skip the oven and make this Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese instead.
- You may also like to checkout my Parade article about 15 Sensational Ways To Make Mac and Cheese.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Southern Style Macaroni And Cheese
- 2 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cheddar cheese soup
- 2/3 cup soft easy melting cheese [i.e. Velveeta or Cheez Whiz]
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 Tbsp melted butter (plus additional 2 Tbsp softened butter for the top)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium size pot, boil the elbow macaroni in salted water until al dente Drain well.
- In a blender, blend together the milk, sour cream, cheddar cheese soup, cheez whiz, eggs, melted butter, white pepper, ground mustard, and salt. You can also do this by hand with a whisk.
- Layer one half of the cooked macaroni in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 1/4 cups each of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spread the last of the cooked elbow macaroni over the cheese layer.
- Pour the creamy sauce evenly over the macaroni. Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese on top. Dot the top with butter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Serve hot.