This Sticky Maple-Barbecue Chicken is prepared in the oven charring beautifully on a grill pan. A whole chicken is rubbed with barbecue seasoning then basted with a homemade sauce filled with sweet and spicy flavors. Serve it with potato salad, baked beans, coleslaw and cornbread and you’ll have them running to the dinner table.
Sticky Maple Barbecue Chicken Making Tips
Chicken and barbecue go together like peas and carrots. This oven barbecue chicken and it’s an absolute family favorite that never gets old. I prepare chicken so often, I often find myself brainstorming trying to invent a new way to make it just to keep things interesting. Until it comes to this recipe.I recommend you start this chicken with your favorite barbecue rub or one of the suggested brands that I use. The maple-barbecue sauce simmers while the chicken bakes, and then you baste it at the end of cooking and char the sauce for optimum stickiness and flavor. It’s fantastic, a real family pleaser but good enough for company.
Simmer the sauce on the stove top while the chicken is roasting and you’ll cut down your active prep time. Even better, make it in advance and pop it into the fridge and you’ll be good to go. See also sweet and tangy Maple Mustard Glazed Chicken and Dump and Bake Maple Balsamic Chicken.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sticky Maple Barbecue Chicken
- 1 4 lb whole chicken cut up
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup barbecue seasoning i.e. Smokehouse Maple or BBQ Magic
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Homemade sauce: [Or 2 cup your favorite BBQ sauce]
- 2 Tbsp onion minced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes [optional]
- 1/2 tsp barbecue seasoning [same as rub]
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line the bottom of a large pan with a rack with aluminum foil [for easy clean-up] or spritz an oven safe grill pan or broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces. Drizzle the chicken pieces with olive oil then rub liberally with the seasoning on all sides. [Seasoning: BBQ seasoning and brown sugar]
- Place skin side down on the rack or pan. The skin will crisp when the chicken is basted and turned. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, on the stovetop saute the minced onion in 1 Tbsp of butter. Saute until softened, around 2-3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low uncovered for 15 minutes to reduce and thicken. Skip this if using a prepared barbecue sauce.
- After the chicken has baked for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and drain the juices from the pan.
- Drizzle the chicken with sauce. Turn and drizzle the top with sauce.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the juices run clear. If the breast pieces are large, remove the wings, back and legs to a platter at 40 minutes and keep warm.
- Continue to cook the breast pieces checking in 5 minute increments, until the juices run clear or the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- To char: At the end of cooking, increase the oven temperature to broil, and move the oven rack up. Broil the chicken for 3-4 minutes until the skin is charred. Keep a close eye on the chicken. Remove from the oven, brush with sauce and rest loosely tented with foil for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve leftover sauce on the side, if desired.